Honored Contributor

Re: Thinking About Local Sayings

Grinder vs. Subs

I asked DH earlier what he called them and he said "grinders".  You would be asked if you wanted your sandwich toasted but the menu in pizza places and corner neighborhood deli stores called them "grinders".

So I can see how some called the sandwich "grinder" if toasted but in my little area they were grinders whether toasted or not.

Interesting.

Either way, back then those sandwiches, especially from the neighborhood deli, were delicious.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Contributor

I grew up outside Pittsburgh when Hoagies were sandwiches. I moved to Rhode Island years ago and was confused when my driving instructor was talking about putting gravy on his pasta. That sounded weird until he said that they call pasta sauce gravy. Grinders are sandwiches now not Hoagies. They pronounce orange as aarrange. I love Boston accents though they are the best. Plus you go out and get Hot Weinies not Hot Dogs.

Honored Contributor

@Peepers1 wrote:

I grew up outside Pittsburgh when Hoagies were sandwiches. I moved to Rhode Island years ago and was confused when my driving instructor was talking about putting gravy on his pasta. That sounded weird until he said that they call pasta sauce gravy. Grinders are sandwiches now not Hoagies. They pronounce orange as aarrange. I love Boston accents though they are the best. Plus you go out and get Hot Weinies not Hot Dogs.

@Peepers1  That's the way orange is pronounced in NJ and NY.

Honored Contributor

@Peepers1 wrote:

@Peepers1   My FIL called it gravy but my mother called it sauce.  Both were 1st generation Italians.

The old debate-is it gravy or is it sauce?  Interesting that both words have Anglo-French origins.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Contributor

It took a while but now I say aarrange and don't even notice it. 

Super Contributor

@Mersha wrote:

I spent my youth in Pittsburgh, PA.  I have been away for many years and still find myself using the following?

Pittsburgh Stillers

wersh the clothes

gum band = rubber band

red up the room = clean

youns = you people

jagger bush = any bush with sharp needles

pop = soda

dawntawn = downtown

...and anyone from the area will remember "Kennywood is open"

Kennywood is open, I laughed.

Hoagie = submarine sandwich

Chip Chopped Ham = an Islay's lunch meat specialty, very very paper thin sliced ham lunch meat.

I am still in the Pittsburgh area, and we still say them all.  The 2 that we get in a friendly argument at work is gum band and the ever present pop vs soda Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

@Cakers3 wrote:

Once you have seen this movie you will never say "youths" again.  LOL

DH and I still joke about this word today.

Yutes GIFs | Tenor

I LOVE this movie and all the different pronunciations! that was half the fun.

Respected Contributor

@Peepers1 wrote:

It took a while but now I say aarrange and don't even notice it. 

I've been married for 39 years. I'm from Los Angeles and my husband in from New York city, and we still argue about how "orange" is pronounced :-)