Honored Contributor

Think You're Getting Old? A Rock Concert Will Prove It

This humorous piece by Mitch Albom in USA Today made me smile. 

Here's the link:

https://usat.ly/2vWzEr6

~~Be careful when you follow the masses. Sometimes the 'm' is silent.~~
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Think You're Getting Old? A Rock Concert Will Prove It

[ Edited ]

@handygal2 wrote:

This humorous piece by Mitch Albom in USA Today made me smile. 

Here's the link:

https://usat.ly/2vWzEr6

Fun article!! I'm a big concert attendee- still.Yes, it's a  pricey venture but I don't let most of the stuff he mentioned get to me- the traffic, lines, 'smells', etc. Except the parking fees are ridiculous!!

Just saw Queen with Adam Lambert a couple weeks ago-  awesome show!!!  I have tickets for several more events this month and next. 

Honored Contributor

@Ibby114: I've never seen Queen-- lucky you! In the past several years, l've seen The Rolling Stones, Billy Joel and Elton John together, Paul McCartney, Chicago, Huey Lewis and the News, Michael McDonald, Hall and Oates, and Fleetwood Mac.

I enjoyed every one, despite all of the annoyances Mr. Albom mentions, lol.

Honored Contributor

I have a 70-yo friend who plays guitar in a local rock band. People joke with him all the time and say he should name his band "The Bentwood Rockers"...LOL!Woman LOL

Trusted Contributor

Oh pfffft! to that article. 

DH is 66 and I am 62. Last year, we drove to Ottawa, Canada for the express purpose of seeing AC/DC. Outdoor concert, no parking at the stadium, so we were left to fend for ourselves to find on-street parking. We did. Wonderful, wonderful concert.

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@handygal2 wrote:

@Ibby114: I've never seen Queen-- lucky you! In the past several years, l've seen The Rolling Stones, Billy Joel and Elton John together, Paul McCartney, Chicago, Huey Lewis and the News, Michael McDonald, Hall and Oates, and Fleetwood Mac.

@handygal2 Definitey see the Queen show if it comes to your area, I traveled 2 hrs for th show in fact! Adam Lambert would make Freddie proud.Heart

I've seen everyone on your list - Billy Joel probably 15 times over the years (I'm a NY'er Woman Happy) - except Michael McDonald !! One of my upcoming shows is Paul McCartney- what energy! He played for 3 hrs non-stop  last time I saw him a few years back. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Ibby114 wrote:

@handygal2 wrote:

@handygal2 Definitey see the Queen show if it comes to your area, I traveled 2 hrs for th show in fact! Adam Lambert would make Freddie proud.Heart

I've seen everyone on your list - Billy Joel probably 15 times over the years (I'm a NY'er Woman Happy) - except Michael McDonald !! One of my upcoming shows is Paul McCartney- what energy! He played for 3 hrs non-stop  last time I saw him a few years back. 

@Ibby114: I'm a NY'er too. The McCartney performance l saw was one of the farewell to Shea Stadium concerts. Wonderful! Enjoy your upcoming one!

Honored Contributor

Mitch is a super writer but I strongly disagree that you cannot find better lyrics or artists today.   There were some pretty awful one-hit wonders back then as well as now.

As far as the "smell" of mj, you could cut the air with a knife back at some venues in the 60's, one in Boston in particular.

We still attend concerts and have not "smelled" anything in years.  Concerts from the "old days" to current artists.

Spread you wings, Mitch.  There are so many talented artists/bands out there; as much as we love the music from our generation we are not so stuck in the past that we cannot appreciate what is out there today. 

I saw Cindi Lauper on PBS Austin City Limits and I was embarassed for her. 

I realize Mitch is being tongue in cheek here; I get it.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

I love music but would simply NOT take my old ears to a concert now.  Especially an indoor one.  I would worry too much about hearing loss.

When I was young and saw Journey I couldn't hear for three days. NOT doing that now. 

Trusted Contributor

What a humorous essay! It would be a 2 hour trek to any big venue now so I don't see any of the big acts. Culture Club was at a smaller venue 5 minutes from my house, a more initmate environment and the concert was great.

In a couple months hubby and I will travel about and hour to go see an 80s band, but the venue is tiny. Last time we saw them there I was touching the stage which I loved. Couldn't do that in the 80s.

Wanted to go for the day to Outside Lands to see one big act but I just couldn't figure out the logistics of getting there and parking. Figured I'd be looking at a minimum of $300; I guess that's part of the getting older mentality.

I wear earplugs and find that I can still hear the concerts just fine.