Respected Contributor

Things you enjoy amongst yourself

I’m at a point in life where I have entertainment things I truly love and enjoy such as tv shows, music, videos, moives, etc, and I literally have NOBODY I know who likes the same thing as me. Sometimes I feel the enjoyment would be higher if I could share, and honestly I do participate here for looking for like minded individuals to share with. Is anyone in the same boat and how do you handle it?  And do you feel like you talk to yourself a little bit LOL. Cause I do. Happy Saturday peeps. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Things you enjoy amongst yourself

@Grouchomarx @I am quite good at entertaining myself and yes the odd time I will talk to myself....weird I know but that is one entertaining thing we both share if you want to talk about it.LOL.What movies and videos do you enjoy?

Honored Contributor

I love to read books.  None of my close friends get the enjoyment out of books that I do.  I also like to go to the movies.

Honored Contributor

I understand where you're coming from.  I enjoy my time with me on Saturday's.  After working, running errands, grocery shopping,yard work,  seeing friends during the week, I'm ready for my me day.  Of course, I do skip some here and there to go out. 

Today was a good day.  I watched Saturday morning Q.  Made myself some brunch.  Nobody I know likes to watch the Q. LOL.  I watched Life Time movies the rest of the afternoon.  Caught up on newspapers and mail, did laundry, cleaned the kitchen, played on my kindle.  Can't wait to spend time with me again next Saturday.

My friends like to go out.  I need my me time.  I know they wouldn't understand.  I may talk to myself, doesn't bother me.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

There is a tv and movies section in the qvc forums...

If there is no one discussing what you watch, there is a forum where everything is discussed...think it is now called primetimer. 

Esteemed Contributor

I read a lot. Mostly business/investment/financial news. I hit the gym. None of my friends do it's a solitary workout.

I've started to sew, bake and cook from scatch regularly. Now there I'm REALLY on my own but for one young co worker who knits and crochets regularly. For her it's a relaxing pastime.

Her Millenial peers stare at her in the lunchroom with a "eeewwww, housewife stuff" look.

Honored Contributor

I've never been without friend or someone to do things with.  

But over these past 10 years I've learned. Life was passing me by since relocating to another area leaving my family & wonderful life behind.  The people in community are much older, have children "my age or older"  & just not on same chapter of life as me😉.  I do have a group of ladies I play cards with once a month.  That group is shrinking as many have passed or no longer play.  Making "friends" has been a dream not a reality! 

Therefore, although my spouse is here -- he's a loner & always has been.  He enjoys his golf days w/buddies but other than this he watches TV.  Very anti-social so I didn't want to lose my mind & I can't afford to move back home -- I find somewhere to go everyday.  Whether it's shopping, movie, lunch, beach, etc. I just get "antsy" being home all day.  I also travel alone & always meet someone and have good times.  My home is always in order.

I'm thrilled in the winter months as my cousins have a winter home & although, they are here only 2 hours away I spend a lot of time with them.  Thank goodness for small favors🙂

I decided this is my life so better not let it pass me by!  I see ambulances & people around me dying everyday so I better make the most of it !

What I have learned being alone it's great if I don't want to do something I don't & nobody gets upset.   thank goodness he doesn't care because I go home alot😊.  I'm counting the days til my next trip home 15 days, 6 hours😉! 

Honored Contributor

Have been a loner and homebody all my life preferring to do my own thing, so generally, potential friends aren't attracted to me.  But, I found very few in my life that had similar interests.

I have a few neighbors I stay in touch with, but they aren't in good health and stay home, too.  

I have plenty of interests that keep me busy that don't require a friend.  

I often talk to my dogs and sometimes they "talk back."

Respected Contributor

I’m a loner homebody also, and do lots of talking to myself.

I have always kept busy with projects and home beautification and property maintenance etc....dh is the total opposite, being very much a people person and involved in the community.

Valued Contributor

I don't post a lot but it's nice to see that other wives have the same problem with a husband that watches tv a lot.  I'm not antisocial and always had a lot of friends but they move or move on to others.  We all have grandchildren but don't keep in touch.  I enjoy being by myself and enjoy the kids and grandkids to come and visit.  I also have gotten back to reading books.  I always loved books and was a regular at the library.  I taught my kids and especially my granddaughter to love books.  One Halloween I gave her a book instead of candy.  She went home and her dad asked her what she got from me candy?  She said no, better.  I got a new book.  Don't know how many of the book sets I got her for holidays from QVC.  I assume all since she's 20 now and doing well in college.  I've taken an interest also in house plants and love calla lilies outside.  Before I know it the day is over and I watch tv by myself in a spare bedroom.  I don't like the man programs, none of them.  The only thing we agree on is the news.  Sad but it's the way it is and I'm good with it.  He is antisocial and doesn't like to go anywhere.  Fine with me and I do what I want.  There's a certain contentment to being older and retired.  Life is pretty good.  I always talk to my dog like he's going to answer.  Animals give me such joy.  Also talk to myself especially when grocery shopping.  It's easier to find things that way.  Others do it too so I don't feel strange.