Super Contributor

Re: Things to see & do: Charleston & Savannah

@TeezNu wrote:

@Sooner   I do have a slight mobility issue - arthritic hip - but I carry a fold up cane for unexpected needs.  Since I'll be by myself, I can go as slow or fast as I can tolerate.  Regardless, it's great to know ALL ideas!

Anyone do any of the Harbor Tours, and are they worth it?

My husband and I went to Charleston last September and we both agree that the best thing we did was take a food tour.  We went to five different restaurants and sampled a couple of dishes from each.  The tour guide gave a lot of very interesting insight to the area and the food scene at each stop.  Our group was comprised of about 10 people, and we got to know each other over the 3 hours of the tour.  Although the portions are fairly small, there are so many different things to try that we were stuffed and didn't need dinner.  We have decided that anytime we go to a new city, we're going to sign up for a food tour.  It's also great to do early in the vacation because then you can go back to a restaurant that you particularly liked.  Highly recommend!

We took a harbor tour in Charleston, mostly to try and escape the incredible heat.  It was okay, but not all that memorable.  The one we took had narration throughout, but I felt like it was kind of dull.

Whatever you decide to do, I hope you have a great time!

Valued Contributor

After eating at FIG, in Charleston, my husband and I agreed it was so outstanding that we would contemplate flying from NH to Charleston just to have dinner.  From food to wine to hospitality, they do it right.  I would highly recommend dinner at FIG.

I hope you are staying at one of Savannah's lovely inns.  My favorite is the Ballastone Inn on Ogelthorpe. 

I love Savannah at night.  There is something about being with people who are out, enjoying the evening, walking through the squares, the warmness of the night air, the live oaks dressed with Spanish moss, the charm of the street lamps and taking in the "feel" of the period homes as I pass by.   I believe sometimes it is not necessary to do much to experience a place.  Savannah is one of those places.  I love the way I feel when I walk around Savannah. 

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

@rrpell   Beautiful sentiment about Savannah; that is the experience I'm looking for....anywhere I travel.

Also, thanks for the inn recommendation.  Had not thought much about accommodations, since I don't plan to spend much time in a room, but am thinking in this case, it probably will add a great deal to the experience.

“There are two ways to be rich: One is by acquiring much, and the other is by desiring little.” —Jackie French Koller
Esteemed Contributor

@TeezNu - Just checked the weather for next week and it is to be in the 90's (humidity will be about 75-80%) making it feel much warmer. Bring a travel umbrella as there is a high chance of thumderstorms in the afternoons.

Right now it's 84 (feels like 93) and the humidity is 75%

Trusted Contributor

In Savannah:

I would just stay and explore the historic downtown area.  It will keep you plenty occupied.

For dining options try Mrs Wilkes.  You sit with others at a table of 10 and there will be over 22 bowls of southern food waiting to be passed around family style.  It's ranked number one place to eat.  only open until 2pm

Sorry Charlies is fresh oyster/seafood place.  Has the best Low Country Boil for one person.

For breakast/brunch J Christophers.  Old converted garage/warehouse.  Excellent and only open until 2pm.

Download the trip adviser app.  Then click on places to eat near me section.  That's the best way to see what's all around.  There are so many mom and pop places to eat.  Very few chain places in the historic section.

For things to do.  Walk, walk walk.  The historic is filled with beautiful squares, magnificent live oaks, grand homes.  Take a tour of the Mercer House from the MIdnight book.  Go down to riverstreet and watch all the cargo ships entering and leaving the ports.  That is an awesome sight.  There is a dolphin tour that is reasonable priced that leaves from river street also.  Just be aware of surroundings after dusk.  Unfortunately there has been an increase in muggings. 

Anything else you want to know I will be happy to reply.

Super Contributor

@riley1   Thanks for the weather info.  Coming from TX, I know HOT, and sometimes humid.  Have postponed this trip several times over the last few months, hoping for perfect weather, and have decided that, as long as there are no hurricanes, I'm just going to take my chances!  Great idea and reminder about the umbrella!

“There are two ways to be rich: One is by acquiring much, and the other is by desiring little.” —Jackie French Koller
Super Contributor

Thanks @CoffeeNut  for the great Savannah suggestions!  I love the community table concept that seems to be prevalent in the area.  I may be independent, but am not a hermit, and I do enjoy people!

I do have the Trip Advisor app, and love it!  Great to hear that you concur with its recommendations!

Trusted Contributor

I was in Charleston in September and the carriage tour of the old buildings was very cold, freezing,  believe it or not.  The best thing about that area is Middleton Plantation.  The weather during that part of the tour was warmer (it's not close to the ocean) and seeing that plantation was worth the whole trip.