Trusted Contributor

Re: Things that cost more than they should

[ Edited ]

@Nataliesgramma wrote:

I was just thinking this yesterday...Let me add..

Printer ink

bag of potting soil...dirt

@Nataliesgramma You’re right! What they charge for printer ink should be illegal. Some fat cat is making a fortune scalping the rest of us.

Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

I think things cost what they cost.  How do you judge "should?"  Isn't that something everyone decides for themselves?

How can you possibly say what something is worth to someone else?  Maybe it is the design, the quality of the paper, the pleasure of buying the card at a real stationery store?

Maybe it is a car you love, the way it drives, looks, or the safety rating.  Maybe you like buying from the dealer and money is not the motivating factory.

Maybe you like the coffee, or the look of the machine, or it was a pleasurable experience where you bought it and the demo of what it would they would.  Or they gift wrapped it beautifully.

What "should" anything cost, or how "should" we make buying decisions?  Is there a rule for everyone?  I really doubt any two of us buy something for exactly the same value, economic situation, reason, need, or want.  

@Sooner   This is so well said.  I agree with you.

I just wanted to comment that I enjoy buying and sending cards.  I spend a lot of time picking them out.  Even though I think they are expensive, the pleasure it gives me to know how much the recipient enjoys them is worth it.  My niece called me after receiving her birthday card a couple of months ago and told me it was the cutest card she had ever seen.  I sent the same one to my friend and she said the same thing.  She said her husband said that card was a keeper.  I also enjoy receiving cards and keep them displayed for a while.  

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Respected Contributor

You are posting this on a shopping channel site, and most of what they sell is more than it should be.  Every so often they truly have a good value.  With that said, it doesn't really matter because people are going to pay what they are comfortable with.  I've seen people who were so excited about their purchase of something I knew positively I could have gotten for much less.  It's all good as long as you can afford it.  Personally, I like to comparision shop.  And, my greeting cards are from the dollar store, unless I really need something super special. 

Super Contributor

Sheets and curtains 

Trusted Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

@Sooner   I lost one of my precious dogs on Tuesday night.  My remaining dog has an appointment with a cardiac vet coming up.  The initial visit will be $1500.  Then, the dog will be prescribed the same meds as my recently deceased dog used.

I have hundreds of dollars in meds in my dog cabinet.  While waiting for the cardiac vet appointment, I am already starting my dogs on her sister's unused meds.  She is  suffering, and the meds make her more comfortable.

They both have MVD...runs in their breed and most eventually die from this condition.  My remaining dog will be my last pet.

It is way too expensive to provide proper care for sick animals and when they pass, the pain is too severe.  I can't do this again.

Sending some hugs your way Carmie, for both you and your dear dog. Heart

Esteemed Contributor

Sure, there are a number of things that have gone up in price - like greeting cards. But we've found that quite a few stores have a section of $1 or $2 cards and they work just fine for our grandkids. Overall though, I'm thankful I live in a country that gives me plenty of choices product-wise and cost-wise. No empty shelves here, thank goodness.

Respected Contributor

@gellen wrote:

I went to buy a few greeting cards yesterday and , as always, was taken back by the price.  It got me to thinking about things that cost more than they should.  I can add bathing suits to that list.  Your thoughts?

My sister. Don't ask, you don't want to know. And don't tell me I should be grateful because yours passed and yada yada. If you had this one, believe me, you'd be asking Big Guy for a return label.

Contributor

@Warrior2022  LOL. Your comment tickled my funny bone. 

Spoiler

Esteemed Contributor

Across the board, things are much more expensive this year than they were this time last year. The tariffs have had a devastating effect on retail. It has made me a much more savvy shopper, although I still shop regularly.

~~~All we need is LOVE💖

Esteemed Contributor

@gellen wrote:

I went to buy a few greeting cards yesterday and , as always, was taken back by the price.  It got me to thinking about things that cost more than they should.  I can add bathing suits to that list.  Your thoughts?

I think opinions will vary quite a lot about this.  For example, I disagree about bathing suits.  Yes, they can be expensive, but personally I get a lot of use out of them so the ones that are well-made are worth it to me.  

I do agree re greeting cards.  I buy in bulk and I also make my own if I have the time.  (I have boxes of beautiful embellishments, cardstock, etc.)   When I do buy one or two at a time, I stick to the lower-cost ones.  I just can't justify paying a lot of money for a card.