Re: Things that cost more than they should

No, not everything in the US costs what it should:

Gasoline
Pharmaceuticals
Honored Contributor

@Spurt wrote:

QVC Clothing

Furniture --- and stuff these days is all made out of particle board, and even plastic....or molded plywood--not even good quality wood any more....

"Designer" Handbags ---some even aren't all leather and use PVC in the handles.... 

Gas

Cable ($62 of my bill is for fees and surcharges and with the channels I like and watch it wouldnt pay to cut the chord it would end up actually costing me more since I would have to add on extra options...)

Greeting Cards--get mine from Current Catalog

Phones

Laptop Computers --- I thought with everyone using phones/tablets the price of laptops would go down, but checking recently thats not the case....

Movie Tickerts & Concession items ---  Wheres the outrage of salaries for actors!!!  And so many movies these days are not memorable or are big flops lately

@Spurt 

The classic Louis Vuitton bags are plasticized canvas with leather straps .... cost about $3 to manufacture, yet women pay well over a thousand dollars to have one.   Go figure.

Honored Contributor

My father passed away 15 years ago, but when I go grocery shopping I still can hear his comments in my head  ... $5 for a loaf of bread? .....  $9 for a jar of spaghetti sauce? .... $4 for a can of soup? ....  these people are crazy ... 

Honored Contributor

I agree - the cost of greeting cards is ridiculous.  $5.99 and up!  Hallmark and others add lots of embeliishments - or audio or glitter or fancy folds - to make you think you're getting something really special.  No thank you!  I want a simple card and i'll add a personal note that will be the best embesllishment of all.  I rarely send cards but when I do it's the $1 or $2 variety, sometimes from Trader Joe's.  I cringe when anyone sends me an expensive Hallmark card; I hate to ask them not to do that because it would seem ungrateful but it's such a waste of money.

Respected Contributor

Something is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. What someone thinks is outrageously expensive and not worth the money, some one else sees the same thing as a good deal. Both are right. When will we stop judging what other people spend their money on and focus on making our own lives better either financially, emotionally or spiritually. We all have issues that need to be worked on. Fix yourself before attempting to fix anyone else.

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown
Honored Contributor

@dex wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

Don't forget to add the riduculous postage to the cost of a greeting card.  I think cards will eventually fizzle out and be a quaint custom of the past.

I think postage is cheap for letters anyhow.For the price of a stamp I can put a letter in my box and have it travel anywhere in the country and hand delivered to my recipient.

I agree. IMO a regular first class stamp is a great deal. 

Esteemed Contributor

Last year I bought our older son the most amazing Darth Vader birthday card that was $15 at Target (I usually buy cards at Dollar Tree).  I swallowed hard, bought the card and he loved it so much he had it framed.  Fast forward six months and younger son turned thirty; since he is also a huge SW fan I wanted to buy him the same card.  I searched Ebay and found same card NWT for $8 and gave it to him for his birthday.  He is having it framed!

Honored Contributor

I’ll agree about the greeting cards. $4 for the most basic card, and add tax and a stamp, and it’s over $5 apiece.

Add Starbucks lattes and frappuccinos to the list. IMO they take advantage of people’s caffeine addictions by overcharging for their products.

~~Be careful when you follow the masses. Sometimes the 'm' is silent.~~
Honored Contributor

@reiki604 wrote:

Something is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. What someone thinks is outrageously expensive and not worth the money, some one else sees the same thing as a good deal. Both are right. When will we stop judging what other people spend their money on and focus on making our own lives better either financially, emotionally or spiritually. We all have issues that need to be worked on. Fix yourself before attempting to fix anyone else.

I don't know. I rarely see people who don't want to be judged--who never judge others themselves. It just seems to be an annoying human trait we have to put up with in each other.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

Veterinary costs are too high.  It costs more to provide health services for your pet than it does for yourself.  I have spent thousands on two sick dogs since August.

I can understand why some people can not afford medical care for their pets, especially emergency care.

Yes, I have pet insurance, but there is a $200 deductible for each diagnosis.  I am grateful that I can take care of my pets, but many cannot.

Add Prescription and OTC drugs to that list too..for people and for pets.  It's ridiculous that we pay so much here in America when other countries sell the same thing for less.

@Carmie 

I agree ....but ya know these days the vets give our animals better care than some human doctors do with us human patients....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”