Honored Contributor

Re: Things that cost more than they should

[ Edited ]

QVC Clothing

Furniture --- and stuff these days is all made out of particle board, and even plastic....or molded plywood--not even good quality wood any more....

"Designer" Handbags ---some even aren't all leather and use PVC in the handles.... 

Gas

Cable ($62 of my bill is for fees and surcharges and with the channels I like and watch it wouldnt pay to cut the chord it would end up actually costing me more since I would have to add on extra options...)

Greeting Cards--get mine from Current Catalog

Phones

Laptop Computers --- I thought with everyone using phones/tablets the price of laptops would go down, but checking recently thats not the case....

Movie Tickerts & Concession items ---  Wheres the outrage of salaries for actors!!!  And so many movies these days are not memorable or are big flops lately

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

Don't forget to add the riduculous postage to the cost of a greeting card.  I think cards will eventually fizzle out and be a quaint custom of the past.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Veterinary costs are too high.  It costs more to provide health services for your pet than it does for yourself.  I have spent thousands on two sick dogs since August.

I can understand why some people can not afford medical care for their pets, especially emergency care.

Yes, I have pet insurance, but there is a $200 deductible for each diagnosis.  I am grateful that I can take care of my pets, but many cannot.

Add Prescription and OTC drugs to that list too..for people and for pets.  It's ridiculous that we pay so much here in America when other countries sell the same thing for less.

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

Don't forget to add the riduculous postage to the cost of a greeting card.  I think cards will eventually fizzle out and be a quaint custom of the past.

I think postage is cheap for letters anyhow.For the price of a stamp I can put a letter in my box and have it travel anywhere in the country and hand delivered to my recipient.

Honored Contributor

I'm never quite sure what "should cost" means. We all have different levels of income so perception seems to be the key.

If I cannot afford something, I do without.  I do believe that there are outrageous prices for high-end items but those designer items are not my thing anyway.

As far as cards, I still think buying a box during certain times of the year to pass out at nursing homes is a nice thing to do.  While cards may be tossed by friends and family, I'll just bet cards given to nursing home residents remain up long after the holidays have passed.

Some residents have nobody.

Or if one volunteers at a food bank, attaching a card to the box of food being given would be nice, too.  Cards do not have to be religious specific, either, as in Christmas.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

Veterinary costs are too high.  It costs more to provide health services for your pet than it does for yourself.  I have spent thousands on two sick dogs since August.

I can understand why some people can not afford medical care for their pets, especially emergency care.

Yes, I have pet insurance, but there is a $200 deductible for each diagnosis.  I am grateful that I can take care of my pets, but many cannot.

Add Prescription and OTC drugs to that list too..for people and for pets.  It's ridiculous that we pay so much here in America when other countries sell the same thing for less.

@Carmie But we didn't used to provide human level care for dogs.  No hip replacements, or a lot of other things dogs and cats are now treated for.  

I can't afford a pet now.  

Esteemed Contributor

For cards, check out the Leanin’ Tree.  They offer a huge array of cards at about $2 apiece.  The usual and different, and if you plan ahead, you can buy what you think a particular person would like.  Add a few sympathy and thinking of you cards and you will be set for quite a while.  The cards are a very good quality.

I agree that everything seems more and more expensive.  And I am sure tariffs play a part.  Our main FR TV just died.  We had it for many years, but I am not excited.

Honored Contributor

Pretty much EVERYTHING costs more than it 'should'...

But yes, greeting cards are among the many ultimate rip-offs...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

@Sooner   I lost one of my precious dogs on Tuesday night.  My remaining dog has an appointment with a cardiac vet coming up.  The initial visit will be $1500.  Then, the dog will be prescribed the same meds as my recently deceased dog used.

I have hundreds of dollars in meds in my dog cabinet.  While waiting for the cardiac vet appointment, I am already starting my dogs on her sister's unused meds.  She is  suffering, and the meds make her more comfortable.

They both have MVD...runs in their breed and most eventually die from this condition.  My remaining dog will be my last pet.

It is way too expensive to provide proper care for sick animals and when they pass, the pain is too severe.  I can't do this again.

Honored Contributor

@Carmie I so feel your pain.  I can't stand to see animals suffer or in pain.  I also have a hard time with some of the medical procedures. because they caused my pet pain and I couldn't tell him why I was doing this to him.

Can't take that.  Poor sweetie!  I feel for you.