Honored Contributor

Things have always been expensive

I once heard the late Ruth Gordon on a talk show discussing her long life. Someone said to her how lucky she was to have lived in times when the living was cheap

She answer back in her frank way. Listen I'm a pretty old broad, I've lived a long time. NO time when I was alive did people say ,whoopee we're so lucky to be alive, cause everything is so cheap. Everything has always been expensive and its always gonna be.

I think about this, when I get a financial ,pearl clutching ,moment. It helps. What do you do?

Honored Contributor

Re: Things have always been expensive

Rethink it. Haste makes waste.

Honored Contributor

First, I give thanks to what I have because it can be gone tomorrow. Then I think about the people who are not as fortunate as me and that helps take my mind off any financial burden I may have. 

Find a way to be happy and you will achieve happiness...no matter how hard it may seem at times.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I can't compare but I try to think about how I am healthy and able to work every day and how I am blessed to live in America.

I hope that doesn't sound trite.  It really does get me through some days.

Honored Contributor

@cherryWhen I remember prices from years ago, I also remember what we were earning.  That tends to put prices in perspective. 

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

First, I give thanks to what I have because it can be gone tomorrow. Then I think about the people who are not as fortunate as me and that helps take my mind off any financial burden I may have. 

Find a way to be happy and you will achieve happiness...no matter how hard it may seem at times.

Amen!!

Honored Contributor

For those of you who don't know who Ruth Gordon was. She was an actress married to Garson Kanin. If you have ever watched Rosemary's baby, she appeared as Minnie

I should have explained this in my OP. sorry

Respected Contributor

I'm so grateful we have the means to be able to live comfortably, educate our children, and one day have the freedom to retire and enjoy the life we've built. 

Honored Contributor

I remember my parents mortgage payment on the house they built was $120.00 a month.  Can you imagine?  And I remember my parents saying there were times they didn't know if they would be able to make that payment.  I also remember my mom telling me that when they bought their first car, there were times they walked past it sitting in the driveway because they couldn't afford to put gas in the car.

But there is no doubt that prices are rising higher than some peoples' salaries and there is a pinch.  I think back to a couple of years ago when gas was over $3.00/gallon and I was spending nearly $60.00 to fill up my car.  There were times when I was at a gas station and people were putting $10.00 in because that's all they could afford and it got them little more than 3 gallons of gas.  I haven't really changed the way I grocery shop but yet I'm spending double what i used to.   

Honored Contributor

@cherry wrote:

For those of you who don't know who Ruth Gordon was. She was an actress married to Garson Kanin. If you have ever watched Rosemary's baby, she appeared as Minnie

I should have explained this in my OP. sorry

I remember her in a very funny movie (darkly funny!) Harold and Maude.