Super Contributor

Re: Things Your Mother Said To You

@tansy wrote:

@deepwaterdotter wrote:

"It's as easy to fall in love with a rich man as it is a poor one."  Since I never fell in love with a poor man, I don't know if this is true in practice.

The version of that advice I was given was to marry a rich orphan.  

My mother detested her MIL.  

Ha ha. This is so on point. Although my mother in law was sweet, OH THOSE SISTERS IN LAW ! One of them even selected my engagement ring (WHAT!). Don't know why he even revealed that faux pas because it sure didn't fly. Well it may have if that ring was even finger-worthy. And as for the rich thing...at least when the husband is a dud, perhaps the money will suffice?

Honored Contributor

I wish I could answer this question with lots of fond memories. I really can't. most of what my mom and dad said to me was not in love. it was always threats most of the time it was carried thru. 

Esteemed Contributor

“Let Daddy think he’s the boss we know who’s really in charge”.

“You’re not only pretty but you’re smart.Don’t ever let anyone hold you back”.

“You’re your own worst enemy.If you don’t believe in yourself nobody else will”.

I miss my mom,& her unconditional love & unwavering support!! Happy Mother’s Day Mom!!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Unfortunately, my mother didn't have many positive things to say.

This Mother's Day, I plan to have a great day celebrating life and all it has to offer away from the negativity. When nothing is ever good enough, it's time to step back and stop trying.

~Live with Intention~
Honored Contributor

More quotes from an Italian grandmother...

"When I die, you are going to very sorry you didn't (do/this/listen to me/insert guilt here)

"Joe, Sam, Tom, whatever the $#@! I named you, come over here now!"

"Do you think you are the only children I ever had?  You're just the survivors.  Keep it up you're gone and I can make another one who looks just like you."

Honored Contributor

Last quote from an Italian grandmother:

"We are going out today and you will be on your best behavior because you are not going to make me look bad."

Honored Contributor

@VanSleepy wrote:

@Puppy Lips wrote:

I can't recall my mother having any routine sayings, or giving me any useful advice whatsoever.

I was thinking the same thing.  But I don't mean it as a complaint or a criticism of her.  I just don't remember.

I don't either.  

Valued Contributor

My mother taught me to look for the good in people and not assume everything was about me. If I complained that someone seemed curt or unfriendly she would say, “Maybe they have a headache or are worried about money troubles or are going through a divorce. Say a little prayer for them and move on.” It was good advice then and still is to this day and I do believe our country could use some of my mother’s decency.

Honored Contributor

Mother died when I was 11 years old so unfortunately I don't remember a lot about her but I know she was a kind and loving woman.   I know that she told me, "I love you P------a."

"Faith, Hope, Love; the greatest of these is Love." ~The Silver Fox~
Trusted Contributor

- ”You look a little peaked”  

(then she put her lips to my forehead and if she thought I had a temperature, out came the thermometer. She was right 90+% !!  I was sick a lot.)

- “At least drink your milk”. 

- “Just eat a little bite”

(I wasn’t much of an eater.) 

- “Just because someone else is doing it doesn’t mean you have to”

and the variation 

- “If everyone jumped off a cliff, would you do it too.”

- “You’re not going to a fashion show”  (when I was objecting to wearing something or picky about what I was wearing)