Honored Contributor

Re: Things Your Mother Said To You

@Barbara in Virginia wrote:

My mother was a very kind, gentle, and loving woman.  I never wanted to do anything that would hurt her feelings or make her be disappointed in me.  Expectations of me were very high and were internalized for me because of the kind of woman she was.  She was much-loved in the community: was a Sunday School teacher, a Campfire Girls leader, a Den Mother, a Room Mother, did whatever she could to contribute to the community, usually having to do with her children.  She was very well educated and a member of a sorority.  She loved animals and taught me how to care for them.  She was an avid equestrienne, and some of my happiest memories of her was out riding with her. When I am out riding a horse today, I often have the sense that she is right there with me. She was a lot to live up to!!!

She was killed by a drunk driver when I was but 15, a shattering loss for me.  We had to have two funeral services to accomodate all who wanted to attend.  Fortunately, many of her friends stepped up to help me during those tumultuous teenage years, for which I am very grateful.  I will always miss her and grieve her untimely death.

@Barbara in Virginia, I'm so sorry for your loss, your  mother was a wonderful woman. It's bad enough to lose a loved one from illness, but to lose someone from a drunk driver is so senseless ( I always think the reason drunk drivers survive an accident is because they are so loose and out of it they don't have any time to react).

Esteemed Contributor

When I felt bad about myself my mother would tell me "you're good as the best and better than the rest."  Spoken like a true Mom,right?  Miss her every single say since she's been gone.

Trees are the lungs of the Earth
Super Contributor

I am from the 70's too. My mom said "see how he treats his mother"

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I was an extremely shy child and very quiet. My mother would tell me if I wanted to make a friend I needed to make the first move, don't wait until someone approaches you, you might be waiting a long time. She would also say not everybody is going to like you, and if they don't that's their problem!

Trusted Contributor

We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986

Thank you, Mr. Wiesel.

Honored Contributor

"If you're playing tennis with a man, always let him win or he won't like you."   

Yes, she seriously believed that.

This was a good one though .....  "Always have kleenex in your purse because if you don't you'll end up in a Ladies Room with no toilet paper."    

She was definitely right about THAT!