Respected Contributor

Re: Things Your Mother Said To You

Oh my goodness, there were so many things:

The early bird gets the worm.

A stitch in time saves nine.

Remember the little engine that could.

If you don't have anything nice to say, say nothing at all.

Believe in yourself.

If you want something done, ask a busy person & she would usually add...or do it yourself.  lol

Losing your patience over trite incidents (getting aggravated a people in a check out line, other people driving, etc) gives a person you don't even know control over you.  You should be in control of yourself.

I miss her and think of her every day.  Heart

* Freedom has a taste the protected will never know *
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

@Spurt wrote:

1. Don’t sit too close to the television, it’ll ruin your eyes

2. If you’re too sick to go to school, you’re too sick to play outside.

3. Always wear clean underwear in case you get in an accident

4. Don't run with scissors (or a llollipop in your mouth).....

5. I don’t care what “everyone” is doing. I care what YOU are doing!

6. Marry a man that's good to his mother and he will be good to you...

These are good ones and I believe mom taught us each one at an early age.

Many comments I've read fill me with sadness and make me wonder about the entire home lives of posters. Hopefully, you've all found happiness in your adult lives. 

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Honored Contributor

@SahmIam wrote:

@GenXmuse  Have to ask: What is "squeeze" butter?

It’s pretty popular here in the South. We’d put in on corn on the cob, bread, mashed potatoes...well, almost anywhere. Lol

10C23A20-CD85-4704-B7D8-C9352E8422A2.jpeg

Esteemed Contributor

@pitdakota  More good, positive comments. Thanks for posting! 

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Valued Contributor

The Lord gives you 7 days a week . Can you not just give him an hour of your time and go to Mass. And be sure to carry your Cross without asking why. My mother was an Angel never once did she ever raise her voice to any of her children there were 7 of us. Everyday she would Hug and kiss us and tell us how much she loved us. She past away in 2002 from ALS. 

Respected Contributor

@cactusgal wrote:

The Lord gives you 7 days a week . Can you not just give him an hour of your time and go to Mass. And be sure to carry your Cross without asking why. My mother was an Angel never once did she ever raise her voice to any of her children there were 7 of us. Everyday she would Hug and kiss us and tell us how much she loved us. She past away in 2002 from ALS. 

@cactusgal, your mother was a treasure. I'm so sad she had to leave this world due to that terrible illness. You have beautiful memories of her when she was well.

Trusted Contributor

My mother was a very kind, gentle, and loving woman.  I never wanted to do anything that would hurt her feelings or make her be disappointed in me.  Expectations of me were very high and were internalized for me because of the kind of woman she was.  She was much-loved in the community: was a Sunday School teacher, a Campfire Girls leader, a Den Mother, a Room Mother, did whatever she could to contribute to the community, usually having to do with her children.  She was very well educated and a member of a sorority.  She loved animals and taught me how to care for them.  She was an avid equestrienne, and some of my happiest memories of her was out riding with her. When I am out riding a horse today, I often have the sense that she is right there with me. She was a lot to live up to!!!

She was killed by a drunk driver when I was but 15, a shattering loss for me.  We had to have two funeral services to accomodate all who wanted to attend.  Fortunately, many of her friends stepped up to help me during those tumultuous teenage years, for which I am very grateful.  I will always miss her and grieve her untimely death.

Honored Contributor

The best thing Mom said to me was the last few months of her life.... I would tell her "I love you" and she'd reply "I love you more."   She was dying and on Hospice care, and wanted to be sure all 7 of us kids knew she loved us.  This is my 1st Mother's Day without her.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Jordan2 wrote:

I'm the OP, and thought this would be a fun thread. I feel sad that so many of you didn't have the best relationship with your mother.

@Jordan2

I liked your idea and thought it would be fun too.....You can't please everyone....If something is hurtful or painful to some, they can always skip it and move on to something else--that's what I do........

--I enjoyed some of the funny comments....Don't let others discourage you from posting....I dont agree with the philosophy that we shouldnt enjoy our happy or fun memories because it might offend someone...My mom passed away young-at 58-and I choose to look at the wonderful memories instead of being sad on Mothers Day..

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Eileen in Virginia wrote:

1.  You have to suffer to be beautiful (as she tried to untangle my curly mop with a comb instead of the brush I was begging her to use);

2.  Do I have to get the wooden spoon? (I almost bought a shirt last year that had “I survived the wooden spoon.” on the front.);

3.  Your face is going to freeze like that (when I was making a face at someone);

4.  You get what you pay for (I didn’t know outlets existed until I got married);

5.  Go ahead and take seconds, there’s more in the kitchen (my parents grew up during the Depression and food was scarce. We may have been poor, but we always had plenty to eat.). 

My Mom died of ovarian cancer when I was 16. As I became a “tween”, I remember some minor skirmishes between the two of us, but I always knew she loved me. 

@Eileen in Virginia

#1 really resonnates with me...My hair is straight and not a curl anywhere, so my mom would give me those Toni permanents to put some curl in my hair....and the smell and the mess was awful....and my mom would always tell me, "you have to suffer to be beautiful"......  And then I was glad that people started to straighten and even iron their hair to make it straight--I felt avenged---LOL!!!

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”