Honored Contributor

Re: Things Your Mother Said To You

My adoptive mom suffered from profound mental illness. Most of the things she did and said was because of it.

I hope she is at peace now in heaven. I loved her dearly and know that it was not her choice to be sick.... I am a better person for having known her. She taught me patience and empathy.

Honored Contributor

"Comb Your Hair"

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

Squeeze butter will make you fat

Trusted Contributor

Everything will be better in the morning.

Honored Contributor

@FuzzyFace wrote:

"You're overweight" (like I needed to be reminded) "and you're loud and obnoxious." 

I guess she really loved me Woman Mad

Oh--and when I didn't make the dean's list, I told her, well, I TRIED and she said, "That's not good enough!"

There was just no pleasing that woman.

@FuzzyFace  I totally understand.   Nothing I ever did was good enough, either.   And I got the: "Why can't you be like (insert name)?"   

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Trusted Contributor

@Laura14 wrote:

My Italian grandmother: 

"Keep making that face and an angel is going to come by and say 'Amen' and you'll stay that way forever."

@Laura14 My mom used to say something similar to that, LOL! She also used to tell me, if you have to ask how much it is, you can't afford it! And, if you can't pay cash you don't need it! This was a long time ago & she's in Heaven now. Have a nice day & take care.

Esteemed Contributor

You need to decide if that is worth worrying about.

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Respected Contributor

@Trinity11 wrote:

My adoptive mom suffered from profound mental illness. Most of the things she did and said was because of it.

I hope she is at peace now in heaven. I loved her dearly and know that it was not her choice to be sick.... I am a better person for having known her. She taught me patience and empathy.

@Trinity11  Such a beautiful sentiment. Many people in the same position would not be selfless and understanding. You are truly kind.

Honored Contributor

My mom said so many important things to me but one thing does stick out.  I was extremely shy and unfriendly as a young teen.  I had been sick for a year and missed an entire year of school.  I felt very out of it because everyone my age was a year ahead of me.  I felt so lonely and depressed.

I used to get what my mother called "morose," and stay in my room, while my stunning younger sister was having the time of her life (which she deserved). 

My mom took me to see a Marlon Brando movie (knowing he was my idol) once and I was so afraid someone would see me out with my mom that I was "morose" the whole time.  OMG, I cannot believe I did that to her!!

She finally sat me down one day and said, "[My name], if you want people to like you, you have to like them."  It took me a long time to really put that wise advice to good use.  But I finally did and it changed my life. 

I will always love my mom.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor

@GenXmuse  Have to ask: What is "squeeze" butter?