Trusted Contributor

Re: Things Your Mother Said To You

[ Edited ]

@coffee drinker wrote:

"Be an engine, not a caboose."  I like to think those were words I that I will never forget and try to live each day being an "engine, not a caboose."    

@coffee drinker

I like that one.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@brewhaha wrote:

When I didn't eat all my food, she would say there's a lot of starving children who would eat your food.

Shoekitty said

Yes!!  But my mom added we needed to finish our plates, necause the kids in Korea were starving. I was about 4 when the Korean war was raging.  She still jsed this saying long after the Korean War ended, to which we said, "well can you send it to them."

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I was born before children's rights, or there was anything like being politically correct.

my mom would say, don't make those faces at me,  or I'll smack you silly.  It never happened.  But I always tried to imagine what being smacked silly was.  Lol

Esteemed Contributor

"There's more than one fish in the sea."

"If you think you can't make it, don't even try."

"Call me, if you need me."

(This was a very easy quiz!)

Respected Contributor

@QVCkitty1 wrote:

If everybody else jumped off a bridge,would you ?

Funny, I was born and raised in Russia and my mother said the same thing! Lol

Guess we all are really the same...

Respected Contributor

@SahmIam wrote:

1) "Because of you, my career was ruined".

2) "Why couldn't you look like my side of the family instead of your fathers? At least then I could be proud to be seen with you".

3) To people who inquired about my mother and her siblings " Yes, I have my family and I love them so much!" *Pause* "Oh, and then there's my husband and daughter" (said with disgust).

If it wasn't these 3 exact things, it was always a variation of them. Yes, she was a lovely woman.

@SahmIam ... Believe me, I know what you went through. I have a mother just like yours. Ironically, I'm the one who eventually became her caregiver. She hasn't changed. However, I'm about to change the caregiving situation. I'm through with her lies, control, abuse, manipulation, and threats to try to get her way about things. My sister finally reached retirement age, so it's her turn to take our mother. She will probably stick her in a nursing home. Whatever!

Everyone who knows my mother thinks she is just a beautiful person with a sweet personality. Uh, huh. If only people knew! When I was a child, I had this imaginary mother in my mind who would hug me and say kind things to me. Sad.

A kind gesture can reach a wound that only compassion can heal. ~~ Steve Maraboli
Respected Contributor

@Yardlie @Sahmlam   I know all about  a mother like this too.  She really was a wonderful woman.  But was furious at anybody who ever said anything nice about me.  She instantly felt that it meant they were against my sister.   I grew up in Germany and decided to come here in my 20s.  My birthday is at Christmas so I went home to my aunts farm where we  grew up.  It was my 25th birthday.  When my aunt decided to make a cake for me I heard my mother say "you don't have to do this for her".

Whenever I went home for visits, it usually wasn't pleasant especially whenever my sister came into play.  

Wonder what happens to otherwise really nice people.  

Trusted Contributor

"You're overweight" (like I needed to be reminded) "and you're loud and obnoxious." 

I guess she really loved me Woman Mad

Oh--and when I didn't make the dean's list, I told her, well, I TRIED and she said, "That's not good enough!"

There was just no pleasing that woman.

Trusted Contributor

@CLEM wrote:

@Yardlie@ @Sahmlam   I know all about  a mother like this too.  She really was a wonderful woman.  But was furious at anybody who ever said anything nice about me.  She instantly felt that it meant they were against my sister.   I grew up in Germany and decided to come here in my 20s.  My birthday is at Christmas so I went home to my aunts farm where we  grew up.  It was my 25th birthday.  When my aunt decided to make a cake for me I heard my mother say "you don't have to do this for her".

Whenever I went home for visits, it usually wasn't pleasant especially whenever my sister came into play.  

Wonder what happens to otherwise really nice people.  

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

I know what you mean.

One of the worst, most despicable things my mother did was to try to play my sister and I off each other. Wherever she is now, I hope she's gnashing her teeth that now my sister and I are friends.

Trusted Contributor

@cuddles wrote:

Lay down with the dog, you'll get up with fleas. Re: the company you keep.

LOL!  That's what I said to my son and he always got annoyed when I said it but he DID choose good friends.