Respected Contributor

Re: Things Your Mother Said To You

1.  You have to suffer to be beautiful (as she tried to untangle my curly mop with a comb instead of the brush I was begging her to use);

2.  Do I have to get the wooden spoon? (I almost bought a shirt last year that had “I survived the wooden spoon.” on the front.);

3.  Your face is going to freeze like that (when I was making a face at someone);

4.  You get what you pay for (I didn’t know outlets existed until I got married);

5.  Go ahead and take seconds, there’s more in the kitchen (my parents grew up during the Depression and food was scarce. We may have been poor, but we always had plenty to eat.). 

My Mom died of ovarian cancer when I was 16. As I became a “tween”, I remember some minor skirmishes between the two of us, but I always knew she loved me. 

Honored Contributor

@Jordan2 It wasn't my intent to make your thread sad or depressing. despite my mother not being interested in being a mother, I had a FANTASTIC grandmother who loved me dearly and made sure I knew that every day growing up. 

As someone in this thread said, family relationships are toxic and in the end, I mourned not that I didn't really have a mother but for what COULD have been if she had only been open to it. The funny thing? I know more who grew up just LIKE me, then not. I consider those who have/had a wonderful and loving relationship with their mother to be something rare/not the norm and you know what? Consider yourselves very, very blessed.  

I have no complaints as I have children I love and who love me right back. I didn't allow the selfishness of one person to dictate how my life was going to turn out when it came to love. I also know that the person who gave birth to you doesn't automatically mean they are the ones who loved and raised you. So Happy Mothers Day to those who gave us all love, respect, was there for us no matter what and taught us to treat others the same way. : )

Honored Contributor

I do not remember too much.....but,   I do remember when  I was about 5 years old and it was thundering  out side, my  beautiful Mother said it was the angles in heaven 🎳 bowling.....I had quite a visual in my mind whenever I heard the thunder and I was never scared!  😀

Honored Contributor

@Spurt

"6. Marry a man that's good to his mother and he will be good to you..."

I use to think that way until.....

I use to go w/a fella who put his mother on a pedesal.  His mother (& sisters) waited on his father & all the brothers hand & foot.  If any of "her boys" dropped a microscoptic crumb on the floor, "mom" appeared out of nowhere to sweep it up!

After a while I realized that was what he expected of a "wife."  Needless to say, I ended that relationship w/a quickness.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Respected Contributor

You have to stop wearing two undershirts and start wearing this bra.

Oh what does it matter I am on my way out. 

She lived to 99yrs old. My mom lived a good long life and I was blessed to have her. 

Respected Contributor

"Be an engine, not a caboose."  I like to think those were words I that I will never forget and try to live each day being an "engine, not a caboose."    

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

"Just because you can get it on does not mean it's your size."   Woman LOL   (Note to QVC hosts, squeezed into size XXXXXXXXXS.)  

My mother was a sweetie with a fabulous sense of humor.  

I miss you, Mama.  

Honored Contributor

@QVCkitty1 wrote:

If everybody else jumped off a bridge,would you ?

Shoekitty

in our house, it was"johnny"... If Johnny jumped off a bridge, would you follow him

Respected Contributor

My Mother would say to my sister and I, "there's only the two of you.  When I'm gone you will have to take care of each other.". My mother died at 81.  My sister and I remained close until her death at age 69.

Respected Contributor

"Pack your bags and never come back."

This was said to me after my husband and I eloped.  Many years later, we're still married!