Honored Contributor

Re: Things Your Mother Said To You

@deepwaterdotter wrote:

"It's as easy to fall in love with a rich man as it is a poor one."  Since I never fell in love with a poor man, I don't know if this is true in practice.

The version of that advice I was given was to marry a rich orphan.  

My mother detested her MIL.  

Honored Contributor

1) "Because of you, my career was ruined".

2) "Why couldn't you look like my side of the family instead of your fathers? At least then I could be proud to be seen with you".

3) To people who inquired about my mother and her siblings " Yes, I have my family and I love them so much!" *Pause* "Oh, and then there's my husband and daughter" (said with disgust).

If it wasn't these 3 exact things, it was always a variation of them. Yes, she was a lovely woman.

Honored Contributor

@SahmIam wrote:

2) "Why couldn't you look like my side of the family instead of your fathers? At least then I could be proud to be seen with you".

3) To people who inquired about my mother and her siblings " Yes, I have my family and I love them so much!" *Pause* "Oh, and then there's my husband and daughter" (said with disgust).

If it wasn't these 3 exact things, it was always a variation of them. Yes, she was a lovely woman.

She sounds delightful, congratulations on surviving that horrible person. 🌺

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Esteemed Contributor

@SahmIam wrote:

Ouch.  What a nasty woman.  But you triumphed in spite of her, I hope.

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Esteemed Contributor

I can't recall my mother having any routine sayings, or giving me any useful advice whatsoever.

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Honored Contributor

"You can't go out and play till your chores are done".

"Be home by such and such a time".

"Save yourself for the man you marry".

"We do not call people names in this house".

I learned mostly by what my mother did and how she lived her life.  She truely was an example of "practicing what she preached"....and still is at 88 yrs. old.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

1.  Don't say anything in anger.  If you don't say it, you won't have to take it back

2.  Some day you will be sorry you didn't spend enough time practicing the piano.  (That day eventually came in 1978 when we bought a piano.  I called her to tell her she was right.)

Honored Contributor

My Mother was very good at managing money, the little bit she had to work with, so she used to say"If you don't have it, you can't spend it". My family was mired in superstition and religion so unfortunately they only taught us fear and shame.

Honored Contributor

@Puppy Lips @QVCkitty1  Thank you, my friends.  Living a wonderful life is THE best way to spite an ugly soul. Hugs to you both! : )

Respected Contributor

@Puppy Lips wrote:

I can't recall my mother having any routine sayings, or giving me any useful advice whatsoever.

I was thinking the same thing.  But I don't mean it as a complaint or a criticism of her.  I just don't remember.