Honored Contributor

Things Your Mother Said To You

I was listening to the radio while driving today, and with it being Mother's Day on Sunday, the station had callers state things their mothers said to them. Three come to mind.

1. Wait til your father gets home ( my father hated this, if he wasn't around for what happened, he didn't like being the bad guy, nothing happened when he got home)!

2. Don't tell your father( poor dad was left in the dark many times)!

3. Stop crying, or I'll give you something to cry about ( this never made sense to me)!

Honored Contributor

Re: Things Your Mother Said To You

"I have eyes in the back of my head."  I believed it until I was 21.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Honored Contributor

If everybody else jumped off a bridge,would you ?

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Esteemed Contributor

You have nothing to do? Go bang your head against the wall. I never did that, nor did my mother ever go through with her threat but those words definitely kept me out of the line of fire. On the other hand, my mother, who will be 96 tomorrow, always told me that everything works out for the best. I can’t say I agree with these words completely, but believing that is a positive thing.

Regular Contributor

I hated this one 

"You'd be a happier more contented person if you'd <fill in the blank with the current thing she wanted to manipuate me into>

Esteemed Contributor

Mom's wisdom on dating men who might make good husband's was: "If he's kind, smart,  and capable of earning an honest good living, who cares if he doesn't look like a matinee idol... keep the lights low and enjoy the nice life."

Please bear in mind I was an adult by1970, so this message may sound dated. Actually, it turned out to be sound advice even though I never had to rely upon a husband to financially support me. Woman Happy 

Honored Contributor

@beckyb1012 wrote:

"I have eyes in the back of my head."  I believed it until I was 21.

My old bat of a first grade teacher used to say this.

Honored Contributor

My Italian grandmother: 

"Keep making that face and an angel is going to come by and say 'Amen' and you'll stay that way forever."

Honored Contributor

When I didn't eat all my food, she would say there's a lot of starving children who would eat your food.

Honored Contributor

"It's as easy to fall in love with a rich man as it is a poor one."  Since I never fell in love with a poor man, I don't know if this is true in practice.