Honored Contributor

Re: 🤒 Things You Should Do to Beat a Cold or Flu 🤧

I've lived like a monk this winter.   Home & work, that's it.   Grocery pick up.

Not even church.   My service is on TV & FB Live every Sunday.

My DD had a baby on Christmas day, they are about to have a severe case of cabin fever.   Baby has only been to the pediatrician.   She only allows minimal family contact.

it's just now going through our office.   Keeping my well washed fingers crossed.   We all use wipes & sprays every day.   

I take Vit D daily faithfully year round.   I also drink a LOT of cranberry juice.  (diet, cut with water too)  Maybe that and the vaccine has helped.

There was a story on local TV.   Some people who got the flu late last year are getting it again now.   They are testing positive for 2 different strains,   Flu A last year, Flu B this year.

About half the people who started the Tamiflu right away have done pretty well with it, only a few couldn't tolerate it, or it didn't help.

The only advice I can offer is to not get sick.

I do take Mucinex for a cold.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

You can’t “beat” a cold or flu. You can take immune-boosting supplements and you can take OTC medications that will help you endure and survive the cold or flu, but there is nothing that 100% prevents you getting the common cold virus or the flu, or that 100% will “cure” it or “get rid of it”. 

You do what you can without just going totally OCD about it and hope for the best. And realize you may still get sick because That’s Life. If there were a totally effective method to prevent either it would be front page news around the world.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Super Contributor

I still swear by washing hands thoroughly everytime you come home from somewhere, wiping down everything (remotes, doorknobs, etc), and airing out--open windows and air out when someone is sick and spray.  Eating and sleeping well.   

Trusted Contributor

Sometimes you can do all the right things and still get sick...I guess the best thing to do is always try to eat well, exercise, take vitamins, through out the year, not just when the season hits..get your immunity in a good place...

Take time every day to enjoy where you are without a need to fix it
Super Contributor

wrote:

wrote:

wrote:

This is a helpful article from Business Insider. A couple of suggestions are things l hadn't heard of, such as gargling with plain water at the first sign of symptoms... or taking ginger for nausea or upset stomach.

Here's the link to the article:

http://www.businessinsider.com/how-to-beat-prevent-cold-flu-sick-2018-2

Going to the business insider for health advice is like going to the Journal of Medical Association for investment advice! Smiley Very Happy

@GusMo: Business Insider is a source of information on many different topics of interest. The Journal of the American Medical Association, on the other hand, covers only topics related to health sciences.  Woman Happy

I know. That is why I do not go to business insider for health info

Honored Contributor

Be sure to wash your hands after handling your mail.  

Honored Contributor

Unfortunately, there is nothing we can do to beat the flu.  There are small things that help soothe us, the vaccine and Tamiflu can lessen the impact, but that's about it.

Respected Contributor

There are many known anti-viral supplements and substances out there, and they all work in their own different ways on a particular virus like influenza-- Holy Basil Leaf, Oil of Oregano, Sambucus (Elderberry extract), Astragalus, Olive Leaf Extract, Coconut Oil, Green Tea, Garlic, Zinc, Quercetin, etc.  Of course, many take Vitamins C and D as well.

Published medical research demonstrates how certain substances can attack a virus envelope, or reduce the viral load, or impair the mechanism of replication of a virus, making it easier for your immune system to fight the virus, etc. It is so very fascinating to read about these things. 

Rest and hydration are also of great importance.  

Honored Contributor

Jersey Born:  Yes!  I'm thinking that the Mediterrain diet/folks used/use a lot of ingredients (as you mentioned).  Oregano, etc.  That's why many of them have had fairly long lives throughout the years, centuries.  And sometimes (way back) without access to modern medicine.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

Someone mentioned nasal spray.  'Come to think about it', a simple saline nasal spray might be a good idea.  Saline (salt) has qualities.  I'm guessing anti-this and that.  It possibly could even kill germs?  Or at least keep them from multiplying?  It doesn't seem to spoil.  It's a preservative, keeping foods from forming bacteria, etc.  Something to think about.

I'm always thinking about something.......

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).