Respected Contributor

Re: Things You Hated to Eat as a Youngster

Liver and cabbage. I like cabbage now but still hate liver.

Respected Contributor

For some reason, mashed potatoes, which I later in life found out was something I was pretty allergic to.  But I think it was the texture:  too liquid.  I would throw them when no one was looking (this was hard--my family was huge) behind the radiator and the cocker spaniel, Ruffles, who did not share my dislike, eventually scarfed them up. 

My mom, busy with many children, did not like to cook, but she did make many really good meals.  In a pinch, though, she would serve canned vegetables, which to this day I can't eat (the school cafeteria used canned veg, too).

She was Irish but was a whiz at pasta dishes and baked goods, and she relied on them more and more as she got confident.  Her pasta sauce is sacred in my family:  I am the go to person to replicate it, as I lived on it in grad school. 

Loved you, mum.

Honored Contributor

@Stray wrote:
Eggs wouldn’t eat them then and won’t eat them now!

Same for me. 

I swore when I became an 'adult', I would never eat another egg.

And I meant it.

I gave up cakes, cookies, brownies, etc. because they had eggs in them.  

(And there's a huge list to that 'etc', which included some breads, Milky Way candy bars <thud>, some pastas, a whole lotta stuff is made with egg.  Blah.

That's how much I loathed eggs......

Trusted Contributor

Scallops. My mother made a wonderful creamed scallops dish for her parties. The guests all raved about it. The smell made me nauseous. Don't like the things to this day.

I do have to say that I once had tiny scallops that were caught that day and they were delicious but nothing like the rubbery ones my mother cooked or that are in most restsurant items.

My friend and I were just talking about the salted codfish dish mentioned in this thread. I remembered the little wooden box and the soaking.

My Dad loved the dish. Not so much the rest of us but it wadn't as nasty as scallops Woman Very Happy

Honored Contributor

My dad loved liver and onions, and at some point mom started making it creamed with either mushroom soup or sour cream added to it, and it was quite good.   I think a lot of liver was overcooked back in the day.

Couldn't stand the smell of melons ... cataloupe, honeydew, etc.  Also ... sauerkraut.

Everything else was manageable.

Respected Contributor

@Judaline wrote:

@CatsyCline  I was wondering-would your mom be available for dinner parties? Or catering?

@Judaline    LOL!!!   

Lunchbox Surprise!!  Liverwurst on Rye!

She even stuffed our Thanksgiving Turkeys with chopped Liver and Breadcube stuffing!!!

Bologna Sausage Cartoon Character

Honored Contributor

@CatsyCline wrote:

@Judaline wrote:

@CatsyCline  I was wondering-would your mom be available for dinner parties? Or catering?

@Judaline    LOL!!!   

Lunchbox Surprise!!  Liverwurst on Rye!

She even stuffed our Thanksgiving Turkeys with chopped Liver and Breadcube stuffing!!!

Bologna Sausage Cartoon Character

Sorry, couldn't resist!Woman Wink

Respected Contributor

I hate beets in any form. We weren't forced to eat them but my mother would make them and she was the only one who ate them. She was the queen of the pressure cooker. Everything she made in it was delicious. EXCEPT navy beans! I remember playing outside and she would have the kitchen window open...I could smell those dang beans and knew a big bowl of them would be on the table when I went inside...I would take my time going inside to eat, hoping my siblings had eaten them all...but they didn't like them either. We were never forced to eat anything, and I never forced my children either, but tasting one bite was my rule. Sometimes they discovered it wasn't so bad. Beef liver? Never.
I still won't eat liver, beets, or navy beans. I am thankful we were never forced to eat everything in our plate...I have never understood the logic to that.

Valued Contributor

@CatsyCline wrote:

My mother really shouldn't have had children LOL. 

She literally forced us to eat foods most kids hate.    Beef Liver and Chicken Liver . We HAD to eat it.   The chicken livers came joined by cartilage in a tub in varying shades of yelowish brown. Organ meats. yuk

Fish with bones. multiple little sticks of bones. Chicken Fricassee with bones in it.

Spinach she cooked to death it was a pile of green sludge.

Cube Steak i gagged on and choked running to the bathroom 

Tongue!!  A whole boiled tongue plunked on the table setting on a Serving Platter.

the carrot on the stick was we could have dessert ONLY if we ate the offending food

Tongue??!!  I've seen a big cow tongue and as an adult, I'm sitting here triggered. 😳

Respected Contributor

My mother was a great cook but when she served the following I was not a happy camper

Liver and onions--eat it or you will have to have iron shots.

tripe stewed with tomatoes and peppers--

lima beans

Brussel sprouts

As a child I hated the smell and sight of peanut butter. One of my friends had it everyday in  his lunch. I couldn't sit with him.