Honored Contributor

Re: Things You Hated to Eat as a Youngster

Mayo based foods like potato salad, tuna sandwiches and any salad dressing. Somewhere along the way, I started to eat those things. If I recall, the first thing I tried was 1000 Island dressing.

Respected Contributor

My mother really shouldn't have had children LOL. 

She literally forced us to eat foods most kids hate.    Beef Liver and Chicken Liver . We HAD to eat it.   The chicken livers came joined by cartilage in a tub in varying shades of yelowish brown. Organ meats. yuk

Fish with bones. multiple little sticks of bones. Chicken Fricassee with bones in it.

Spinach she cooked to death it was a pile of green sludge.

Cube Steak i gagged on and choked running to the bathroom 

Tongue!!  A whole boiled tongue plunked on the table setting on a Serving Platter.

the carrot on the stick was we could have dessert ONLY if we ate the offending food

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Certain vegetables like broccoli, spinach, brussels sprouts, green beans and asparagus.  They were usually from frozen but my mother would cook them until the were a soggy mess.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I hated most vegetables.  There were 5 kids and 4 of us didn't like most vegetables and my mom didn't push it.  My mom, dad and  one brother ate a wide range of healthy  vegetables while the other 4 only ate corn, peas and green beans.  My mom was a good cook but  everything she cooked was high fat.  She fried fish, chicken, pork chops, liver. She made the best baked mac and cheese with three types of cheeses.  She also made a terrific lasagna.  And there was always a big dessert.  So, it's no surprise that 3 out of 5 of us kids grew up overweight.  

Honored Contributor

Rutabagas and oysters. When mom discovered my sister and I were feeding the expensive oysters to the cat under the table, she conceded and thereafter gave us hot dogs.  Neither of us will eat either of these things to this day.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Peas

the one thing I didn't care for that she made, (and she was a great cook) was her meatloaf made with crackers.  Eeewwww.  and if she put peas with that!!!!!

Respected Contributor

I don't remember my mom cooking anything I didn't like, she was a pretty good cook.  She made a noodles with beef dish and I still miss it, I wish I would have gotten the recipe.

Honored Contributor

@CatsyCline wrote:

My mother really shouldn't have had children LOL. 

She literally forced us to eat foods most kids hate.    Beef Liver and Chicken Liver . We HAD to eat it.   The chicken livers came joined by cartilage in a tub in varying shades of yelowish brown. Organ meats. yuk

Fish with bones. multiple little sticks of bones. Chicken Fricassee with bones in it.

Spinach she cooked to death it was a pile of green sludge.

Cube Steak i gagged on and choked running to the bathroom 

Tongue!!  A whole boiled tongue plunked on the table setting on a Serving Platter.

the carrot on the stick was we could have dessert ONLY if we ate the offending food

I'm hugging you.  You survived and made it to adulthood.  You need a medal.  

Respected Contributor

@781Florist I hated those salmon patties that she fried, greens and boiled cabbage always stunk to me.  I will eat cabbage now as an adult bur the others are still a big no.

Esteemed Contributor

Eggs wouldn’t eat them then and won’t eat them now!