Regular Contributor

Re: Things You Hated to Eat as a Youngster

Liver with sauteed onions! My father liked so we would have about once a month. I would cut up in small pieces, stuff in my mouth, add mashed potatoes until my mouth could hold no more then go to bathroom and spit out! Just the sight of liver brings back bad memories.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I grew up just outside of Boston.  

My mom made fried shrimp with tartar sauce pretty regularly. While my sister and dad enjoyed it, so there was nothing wrong with her cooking, I hated that meal with a passion.  But that was back in the early to mid-60's and there was no alternative menu offered to a "whiny child" LOL.  You ate what was cooked.

To this day, I absolutely won't eat fried shrimp, won't eat tartar sauce and to be honest, eat no seafood of any kind. I just don't care for it.

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Respected Contributor

It is amazing that as kids we ate what are mother cooked like it or not.  I have worked with young children my entire 30+ career and have done feeding therapy.   You would be shocked at how parents now days cater to their child's food preferences rather than have them ate the family meal.  It really is a disservice to the their children as it really limits their diet and they don't learn to try new foods.  

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Filet of haddock. I'd always find a bone and it would make my stomach churn. Brussel sprouts, the smell. Also, my mom would open a can of peas and then pour evaporated milk on them before heating.I was odd in a way though, because I liked spinach and liver and onions.

Respected Contributor

I hated grits! My mother cooked them every single weekday morning, she didn't believe in feeding us anything with sugar then sending us off to sit in a classroom all day. I thought it was so horrible for her not to give us sweet cereals or sweet rolls like "all my other friends" got. Now I love them and while I don't eat them every day, they're a comfort food for me. She always served them with some sort of meat: bacon, salmon, ham, sausage, fried fish or shrimp. The only thing I really disliked back then for dinner was split pea soup and I still to this day cannot stomach even looking at it. My mother was a great cook and I would love to have her here again to cook for me.

Honored Contributor

Liver, any kind of fish, and, lima beans. Just typing them I am making a horrible face!

Happy Sunday card greeting with beautiful pink roses blossom on white background. Sunday morning text message with flowers - Have a blessed and beautiful Sunday.

Honored Contributor

Like the OP, we ate what was on our plates.  Period.

I never liked the texture of any type of dried beans and we had them in the winter I guess because they were a choice to go along with dinner......

Now, I still steer clear of them and items like hummus.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Celeriac...it smells and tastes like garbage...

All images

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Respected Contributor

I don't recall any specific meal that I could not eat.  We were never forced to eat anything but if we put it on our plate we ate it.  I remember one time being at my grandparents and not liking something but do not remember what.  But being a daddy's girl (like all us girls thought lol) I asked my dad to eat and didn't want to hurt my grandparents feelings.  Sure do miss him and  gone way before his time.

We ate what was served and never remember any big protests from siblings and seven of us.  I will have to ask what they recall.  

I just know some items I was not a fan of.  Peanut butter but like now, Brussels sprouts and still do not eat.  Not a big fan of hotdogs but will eat if served.  My dad did not care for hotdogs so think I got that from him.  I'm a brautwurst eater.

I would say we had pretty good meals and only unusual one that maybe some have never had is stuffed squids in tomato sauce.  

Liver and onions my mom would make now and then but usually just for her and dad.  Never made it for all of us.  We probably had spaghetti and meatballs or hot dogs.  

My mom side Czech and dad side Italian.

Honored Contributor

I hated fresh tomatoes as a child and still do to this day.  However I love salsa, ketchup, etc.

As a child, I love fresh peaches from the orchard but I dislike very much canned peaches today.