Honored Contributor

Re: Things You Hated to Eat as a Youngster

meat and eggs....

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Absolute NO to spinach, collard, creasy, dandelion, turnip, or anything in the cooked greens category, rhubarb, scrapple, souse, buckwheat pancakes, fig newtons, any type of seafood, and lamb.

Honored Contributor

@chiclet wrote:

My mother cooked a lot of greens when in season......] collard, mustard and turnip greens.  I hated them soooo much and would not eat them but now I love them.

Also raw onions I hated then and I hate now.

@chiclet From a farming family, a cousin raised crops of turnip greens and watermelons for local stores as a side to the grain production.  Turnips? NO. Watermelons YES!

However I ate turnips and greens 'cause that's what we had to eat a lot of times and they were "good for you."

And I washed and cut up mountains of turnip greens back in the day.

Funny you mentioned it, because we had them yesterday for the first time in probably 40 years (we are collard folk) and they aren't nearly as strong tasting as the ones from my youth and didn't smell as bad.  

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

@781Florist  I loved my Mom's cooking, but almost every meal had 3 vegetables as sides. I think she was ahead of her time, lol. 

Honored Contributor

@lgfan wrote:
Three things that I hated to eat as a child. Sloppy Joe's, celery and chili. I could not eat a sandwich whose filling is dripping from the bread. Celery just had an awful taste to me. I could not get past the smell of the chili. It made my stomach turn.

@lgfan You might just for informational purposes try a bite of good not-all-spotted but pretty organic celery if you happen upon some. I hated it too until I tried organic and to me it it totally different.  That awful bitter was the bug spray.

With celery I have discovered that if it looks old, it IS old!

Respected Contributor

Thank you Sooner for the recommendation. I will definitely try the organic celery.🤗
Valued Contributor

This thread is hilarious.  There's a lot of food on this thread that I hated as a kid.  Way back in the day, if you were Italian American and Catholic, pasta bazool (sp?) was the Friday night dinner because you couldn't eat meat on Friday. My little brother and I hated it and there were many heated arguments about that ****** dinner every week. One time my brother  and I decided to join forces and dug in. We said we'd run away from home rather than eat it. Our parents called our bluff and told us to go ahead, pack your bag and go. So I packed my little zippered case with Barbies and Michael took his Matchbook car case loaded with green army men and out the door we went.  My parents watched us from the porch until we were tiny figures and then my mother flipped out and yelled for my father to go get us. 

Score one for our side!  We never were forced to eat it again and we hit the jackpot because going forward we would get a tuna fish sandwich which we both loved but rarely got because tuna fish was "expensive". S C O R E !!!!  😂

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

@RedTop  Oh my I forgot about souse and scrapple!! Also HATED head cheese  and boiled tongue!!  They did love to cook all parts of the pig!

Honored Contributor

Brussel sprouts.  I remember gagging the first time I tried them.  As an adult, I'm fine with them.

Trusted Contributor

@MaverDaver 

My mom pan fried the liver, she didn't have the imagination to serve it with sauteed onions back then I guess, it was like chewing on shoe leather, I would cut mine into small pieces drown them in ketchup, hold my nose and swallow quickly, it was torture!