Respected Contributor

Re: Things You Hated to Eat as a Youngster

@781Florist My mother made creamed cod, but I think she was the only one who ate it. Can't remember if my father did. 

I just remember all the mushy vegetables.........everything was boiled and it seemed to all taste the same. 

Valued Contributor

Celery and I still hate it!  It must be the texture because, oddly enough, I like celery salt on a hot dog.  Go figure!

Honored Contributor

My mother made many things I hated - sloppy joes. baked beans, stuffed peppers are some.  Still hate  them except I now will eat only Bush original and maple baked beans.

Honored Contributor

@Melzie wrote:

Celery and I still hate it!  It must be the texture because, oddly enough, I like celery salt on a hot dog.  Go figure!

@Melzie I like celery, just don't give it to me cooked, to me it changes the smell of it.  Same thing with olives, don't give me anything cooked with olives in it or on it because they squeak on my teeth!

Valued Contributor

@CelticCrafter wrote:

@Melzie wrote:

@Melzie I like celery, just don't give it to me cooked, to me it changes the smell of it.  Same thing with olives, don't give me anything cooked with olives in it or on it because they squeak on my teeth!

Ha! Ha! Squeaky Teeth.  Sounds like a good name for a band.  :smileyvery-happy:

Super Contributor

HATED any kind of beans! Butter beans, lima beans. navy beans, kidney beans garbonzo beans, 3 bean salad....hated any kind of beans. I can now eat chili with beans and some baked beans. I even have learned to eat some black beans.

In our house you ate what was on the plate or in the bowl .....I never would have thought about offering an opinion on the menu!

Mom was a good cook and my Dad could always step in and put a meal on the table if need be!  But boy did I HATE beans!!

Honored Contributor

Liver and onions, yuck!!

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Respected Contributor

Fantastic topic!

After my parents divorce, my mother needed to economize and she said food was the logical place to start.  Canned food became a staple. The worst were sardine sandwiches and salmon loaf made with canned salmon. Also, the dreaded liver and onions (truly one of the worst meals ever). We had tuna sandwiches several times a week which we did all like. She always included a juicy orange or crisp apple to make it fun. We never complained although I recall nights pushing the food around with my fork. All was served with love.

Like your mother, my mother actually was a wonderful cook. After my youngest brother enrolled in school and she started working again, our situation improved. There were roasts, chicken and bacon without onions! Those are the memories that I recall, happy times, good conversation and laughter.

Like you, I miss my mother every day.

Thank you for posting this!

Respected Contributor

Bologna, boiled ham

Respected Contributor

Three things that I hated to eat as a child. Sloppy Joe's, celery and chili. I could not eat a sandwich whose filling is dripping from the bread. Celery just had an awful taste to me. I could not get past the smell of the chili. It made my stomach turn.