Respected Contributor

Re: Things You Grew Up With Your Kids......

Also cheese glasses, and scrimp cocktail glasses. I until this day use them, and keep them when I buy cheese in jars for cheeseballs for the holidays or anytime I want one. I purchase ahead because the store only sells them during the holidays.

Honored Contributor

Not in any special order...

*moms wore house dresses
*moms had a weekly housework schedule and cooked a complete dinner every night 

*rotary dial telephone (also Princess phones) w/extra long phone cords
*gallon size glass milk bottles (my aunt's milk was in brown glass bottles)
*metal drinking glasses, all in jewel toned colors
*"sprinkling" the clothes before ironing
*wringer washing machines
*ironing machine called a Mangle
*metal pants forms to stretch and set a crease
*cloth diapers, diaper pins & plastic pants 
*push button car radios (pull the button out and push back in, to set the station)
*manual transmissions - learning the "H" pattern and how to time the acceleration and release of the clutch
*manual car windows
*manual car locks (unlock with a key)
*Stick antennas on our cars
*transistor radios
*8-track tapes
*cassette tapes
*records and record players
*large cabinet black & white tv w/tubes in back and manually tuning and volume setting
*16mm movie camera (screen and projector, to watch them)
*metal roller skates & skate keys
*white go-go boots that zipped up the back
*a key attached to canned hams and canned coffee for opening/removing the lid
*a grandma who baked every weekend and shared breads and coffeecakes with her nearby family (us)
*walking to school/having crossing guards
*taking city buses or the train - learning the routes, knowing how to get a transfer
*riding bikes far from home and never feeling unsafe (same for trick-or-treating)
*doctors made housecalls (ours happened to be a neighbor)
*age requirements to visit someone in the hospital
*oral polio vaccines being dispensed at my elementary school in a sugar cube
*Taffy Apple Day at elementary school
*graduation ribbons
*mimeograph machines and the familiar scent of the worksheets that came from them
*playing outside all the time, except when it was time to eat
*throwing a blanket over the clothesline, to make a tent in the backyard
*kids birthday parties were simple, at the child's home. games were "pin the tail on the donkey", and "clothespin in the bottle".
*photographer would come to the house for children's photo sessions
*manual rotary lawn mower
*corner mom & pop groceries and grocery delivery boys
*coin operated cigarette machines
*pop in glass bottles
*pizza used to be considered an occasional snack, we never had it in place of a meal
*tv dinners and pot pies in foil pans that had to be baked in the oven (no microwaves)
*Fizzies drink tablets, Space Food Sticks, Great Shakes, Chox Kids' Vitamins

I had a great childhood!!!  Heart

Respected Contributor

@Caligurll 

I put miles on those skates just going around and around the outside of our house.  My parents wouldn’t let us play outside the fence, so my dad put concrete sidewalk all around.

Better not lose that skate key !

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Trusted Contributor

@tansy 

And after the evening news TV went off the air. There would be colored stripes on the screen. 

Trusted Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2 

Charles Chips were the best!

Honored Contributor

@BeccaLou wrote:

My Mom scrubbed them on a washboard. And then in the ringer washer.And she claimed the sun kept them white along with germ control.

The sun does bleach white cotton sheets hung on a line, but will yellow polyester and microfiber.  I still hang my clothes out...not much goes into the dryer, except towels.  I confess I have my mother's washboard and use it occasionally to get a stain out 

I have a neighbor who is in her early 30's and she hangs out all of her wash, even in the winter time  as does the lady who lives directly across the street from me. I think more and more people are going back to line drying. I see a lot of clothing hanging outside.

Honored Contributor

What used to be called leggings in my area ,was heavy wool snow pants. You had to tuck your dress inside. (girls weren't allowed to wear slacks to school)They had suspenders and  were very heavy. You put your winter coat over the top

Coats were wool and very heavy. They had to be because many kids walked to school, back home for lunch, and  home again at night. By the time you got the whole kit on, you could hardly move

We all had rubber boots  worn over shoes ,and they were sure to pull off your shoes ,when you removed them

Esteemed Contributor

Drive-in movie theatres were much more common place than today. We would go in our pjs and take a pillow and blanket, Mom made popcorn and we took drinks. It was usually a double feature. When we got  home we were ready for  bed. We usually fell asleep before the end of the second movie.

Honored Contributor

@cherry wrote:

What used to be called leggings in my area ,was heavy wool snow pants. You had to tuck your dress inside. (girls weren't allowed to wear slacks to school)They had suspenders and  were very heavy. You put your winter coat over the top

Coats were wool and very heavy. They had to be because many kids walked to school, back home for lunch, and  home again at night. By the time you got the whole kit on, you could hardly move

We all had rubber boots  worn over shoes ,and they were sure to pull off your shoes ,when you removed them

I was the only girl in my school who wore a coat with leggings and a matching hat as you described.I also had red rubber snow boots.  OMG!  My body was nice and warm, but my feet were freezing. Those boots were awful.

My daughter had the same type of coat and leggings made by Rothchilds.  I am sure I wore that brand too.

Honored Contributor

What a great thread!👏👏👏