Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Re: Things You Grew Up With Your Kids......

@Mary Bailey wrote:

Oh I love the sound of a wooden screen door "slam"

I keep telling DH our next back door will be wooden.  He just rolls his eyes. LOL

There was something I was watching the other day on t.v., had a mom who had lost (death) her son.  He always slammed the door when he came in or went out.  The parents missed him so much one day, that they just stood at the door and opened and closed it so it slammed, till they had their fill.  That's sad.  But I do remember the door slamming.

Esteemed Contributor

Plastic rain hats that folded up accordion style. All you had to do was snap the end straps and it would fold back up.  My mom always carried one in her purse in case it rained and would ruin her weekly "do".

Oh yeah, weekly wash and sets......ewwwwww.

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Super Contributor

Retired Legal Secretary, my father was one of those insurance route salesman.  I can remember he would come home with a pie, tomatoes etc because people didnt have money for their premium.  He would buy their pie or tomatoes etc so they would have money for the premium.  One time he got a lovely plant in an old teapot that someone had thrown away.  He checked the teapot out and found it was worth over $200 so he sold it and gave the policyholder the money.  Kept the plant though.

Esteemed Contributor

@lilypadfrog  I was quite young but I remember his name was Rudy.  Always in a business suit.  I remember his top coat in the winter too.  Dad would pay him and get a receipt then they would visit for awhile. I don't remember the company but he was very nice.

I haven't physically seen our insurance man in years. We call if we need something otherwise we just mail the check when the bill comes.

Trusted Contributor

When it was considered improper for a girl to call a boy even if it was her steady boyfriend!  

I had to do that once and when his father answered the phone I tried to disguise my voice!!Woman LOL

Respected Contributor

Let me begin with a short explanation because there are probably members who have no idea what I recall.

My dad was a member of the United Mine Workers Union.  Seems like they went on strike frequently and that meant no (0)money came into the house.  Nothing from the union or government.

So, I remember surplus food that the federal government handed out to keep us alive.  It contained cheese, butter, flour, powdered milk, and canned beef that looked like the dog should have had it.  There may have been a few other items;  that's what I recall.  

Fortunately, my children never had to eat government surplus food!  

Respected Contributor

@Carmie 

Carmie, I remember the same things!  I went to public schools and we had the "skirts, dresses only" for girls, the boys couldn't wear jeans.  When we got to high school, we'd wear our skirts under long pants on the walks back and forth to school then take them off at school.   We didn't have a school lunch room, so we walked home for lunch, then back for sfternoon classes.  No wonder there were very few overweight children!  

My d-i-l teaches in a public high school.  There is a dress code,but it's not enforced. Many girls show up in outfits that look like they should be "working girls".  Shameful.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

A house with only one bathroom
One phone....on the wall...you shared!
Car with no a/c, no power windows
No computers
Milkman deliveries early in the morning
Gas wars...and premiums with a fill-up...like dishes or towels
Dresses at school...required
Hats and gloves for church...required

TV tube tester machine at the 7-11

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]