Honored Contributor

Re: Things You Grew Up With Your Kids......

@BeccaLou wrote:

What is a taffy apple ? I heard that on" Mike & Mollie "

It’s a traditional caramel dipped apple on a stick that’s also covered in nuts.  There is/was a company/brand called “Affy Tapple” that supplied our school with them for a special sale day.  We really called them “affy tapples” but I changed it on my list because I didn’t think anyone would know that name.  I don’t know the company’s entire distribution area, if maybe they were just in the Midwest, but it’s interesting that the term was used on Mike & Mollie.  I grew up on the south side of Chicago.  Melissa McCarthy is also a Chicagoan so it’s probably a common thing she grew up with too.  

Honored Contributor

hula hoops 

American Bandstand

Esteemed Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2    My Dad was that insurance man that collected premiums in person. (at his wake a number of his clients told me that my Dad paid their premium when times were hard. The policy didn't lapse because of him. They were so grateful! He wasn't supposed to do that and never told anyone that he did it)

He sent out birthday and anniversary cards to clients also.

Honored Contributor

@BeccaLou wrote:

I remember wanting white boots, over the shoe boots they had a little button on the side with an alastic cord that was pulled around the button, I told my Mom they were just like the boots Opie Taylor on  the "Andy Griffin Show " funny how things play tricks on your mind I was watching  long after I was an Adult and realized he was barefoot running along with his Father to go fishing. He wasn't wearing boots as I thought. But I did get those boots.

@BeccaLou   I remember my grandmother and aunts wearing clear ankle boots over their heeled pumps.  The boot had a little heel that your high heel slipped into.  It had the little button on the side and an elastic string you pulled around the button.

Honored Contributor

Remember the *busy signal* you got when calling someone?  

BZZZ  BZZZ BZZZ BZZZ

DH's cell has that nostalgic ring of phones when we were growing up.  I LOVE hearing that!

Would be funny if you could do the busy signal every time your phone rang.  Although I guess it could be annoying, too.  lol

Respected Contributor

You had to actually answer the phone because you had no idea who was calling, there were no special rings or caller IDs or screens that pop up on your TV to announce the caller. 

You always had to pick up the phone, never knowing who would be lurking on the other line. 

Esteemed Contributor

Oh I love the sound of a wooden screen door "slam"

I keep telling DH our next back door will be wooden.  He just rolls his eyes. LOL

Respected Contributor

Door to Door Sales, especially Fuller Brush. My Mom liked the brooms and whisk brooms. My Grandmother bought cleaning products. Magazines, Cards, Encyclopedias, Vacuum Cleaners, Avon, Newspapers, Watkins,  etc. 

Honored Contributor

That was the year as began teaching
Respected Contributor

It was Carlton that talked about Taffy Apples. He told Mike that he could gotten Molly with  "Taffy Apple"