Esteemed Contributor

Re: Things You Grew Up With Your Kids......

Four years ago, at a mountain resort with DH and son's family, my grandson walked to the outdated land phone and said ... "Is this from the 80s?" His parents were born in the 80s and their mouths flew open. I mumbled, 'And so it begins.'    

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Esteemed Contributor

We couldn't wear slacks to school. In winter wore slacks under dress or skirt and took them off at school.  Either parents took you or you walked. both my parents worked so I walked alot. School was a mile away.

No pantyhose either.  The joy of trying to get a girdle and stockings over a damp body after showering post gym class. They never gave enough time to shower, really dry off, dress and get to next class, which was ALWAYS at the opposite end of the school.

Esteemed Contributor

We had a man who would walk through the neighborhood with a cart and yell Pot repairs cheap! He would hammer out dings and put handles back on right from the cart. Simpler times, great memories. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Westshopper   When I was dating my husband way back when, his family had a line of credit at the corner grocery store and the gas station.  On pay day his father would stop at the places and settle up the bill.

I had never heard of this before.  My parents did not buy anything on credit.  We paid cash for everything.  If we didn't have any money, we did without.

i was shocked when my then boyfriend filled up his car and told the gas attendant.          " peechie book". I probably spelled it wrong, but that's how he pronounced it.  It was like "open sesame" to me.  

i can't imagine you could do this today.

When I was in high school, my father drove an old jalopy of a car.  It was pretty old and noisy. We were going on vacation to the New Jersey shore and my mother was afraid to take this car.

my father stopped in to the car dealer on a Friday night and said he needed a new car to take his family on vacation.  He was told to pick one out and was given the keys.  The dealer told him to come back in after his two week vacation and they would draw up the paperwork and settle the bill. The dealer was an old friend...but still.

That would be unheard of today.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Rolling the car windows up and down with a crank. Making coffee in a percolator. Hanging clothes on the clothesline to dry. Setting our wristwatch everyday. Curlers. Calling adults Mr. and Mrs.

Honored Contributor

@deepwaterdotter wrote:

A manual metal eggbeater.

I actually bought one of these when my daughter was little and would want to help me in the kitchen.  

Respected Contributor

8 tracks

Floor console TV's and getting up to change the channel

Only having three TV stations with maybe a few indie stations (we did get cable later)

Stations signing off for the night and not coming back on until early morning

Roller rinks

Taping songs off the radio

Boomboxes

Walkmans

Having to get in the house when the streetlights came on

Sears Wish Book

Eating at Woolworth's & Kmart cafeteria

Stores closed on Sunday & most major holidays

We got our first VCR in 1984/1985. My grandparents would tape shows for me while I was in school so I could watch them at home later. Pop would also tape baseball games if he was going to be away.

And when MTV was big and showing only music videos, they would hype new music videos by the big stars at the time and we'd talk about it in school the next day. I remember when Michael Jackson's Thriller video came out---that was huge. And all the controversy over Madonna's videos. You could never interact with celebrities back then, now you can yell at them on social media. Woman LOL

Trusted Contributor

Saving green stamps from the grocery store! My mom also had a diaper service that would come to the door and pick up dirty diapers that had to be soaked in a diaper pail in our bathroom (we only had one bathroom)!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Home electronic entertainment pretty much listening to Lone Ranger etc. on the radio. Vinyl records played on an RCA Cranked Victrola. Public transportation was only by electric streetcars. Starting cars by putting a crank handle/connected to the crankshaft, in the front of the car and physically turning it to start it.

hckynut

hckynut(john)
Super Contributor

@Phantom41 wrote:

Saving green stamps from the grocery store! My mom also had a diaper service that would come to the door and pick up dirty diapers that had to be soaked in a diaper pail in our bathroom (we only had one bathroom)!

@Phantom41 wrote:

Oh my gosh yes! Green stamps I believe my mother got a few pieces of corning ware that way.