Esteemed Contributor

Re: Things You Grew Up With Your Kids......

Milk machines, girls wearing dresses to school (everywhere), changing tv channels w/o remotes, paper dolls, Sadie Hawkins dances....do they even have them anymore??? I know i had to tell my girls about them....

hair permanents, Albums/45rpm records, Fuller brush sales coming to your door....A DOCTOR MAKING HOUSE CALLS......wasn't that beautiful!!!...........

Esteemed Contributor

We got our 1st vcr in the early 80's, I was so happy because I 

didn't have to miss any of General Hospital when I was coming

home from school. 

Trusted Contributor

My daughter was born in the early '80's, so our generations kind of overlapped as far as experiences.    The only thing that really was hard for her to comprehend was the idea of telephone party lines, lol.

I do have a memory of milk being delivered, when I was very young.  And doctor's housecalls, and the paper boy collecting money for the newspaper each week.

"I've been here since October 2006. Wow!"
Highlighted
Respected Contributor

Black and white t.v.No programs on t.v. after midnight.Spending hours and hours at the library while in college as we did not have computers.No seatbelts.Ordering clothes from a catalog that came in the mail.Miss that mail slot in the front door.You could leave for a vacation and not worry about someone getting the mail for you.

Valued Contributor

The egg man

The Knife and Scissor sharpening man

The Avon lady who left mini lipstick samples

The Home Juice delivery man

Honored Contributor

I do not remember Dr.  house calls but not only no seat belts but have memories of standing up in the front seat next to my Mom as she drove.  What were people thinking?  Party lines and only one local channel on t.v.  The Star Spangled Banner played with flag displayed as the sign off every single night.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Honored Contributor

Most of these things mentioned my kids remember. We had a milk man, a bread man, a Charles Chip Man, and a farmer who would deliver fresh eggs, chickens and vegetable once a weeek. And my kids used a rotary dial phone.  We had a black and white TV with no remote, a car with no AC.

My youngest son helped his friend on occasion with his paper route.  My daughter had to wear a dress to school, no pants and no sneakers for my kids.  They had to carry them in a gym bag for gym class only.

The only thing they would not remember is a party line.  I do remember those, but by 1960, we had a private line.

No doctor house calls, because my kids only went to the doctor for physicals, immunizations and ear infections...which was very seldom.

I remember transporting my niece on an extremely hot day in my car.  She asked me to turn on the AC.  I told her my AC was opening the window and driving fast.  She thought I was kidding.  She said she never knew cars didn't have AC.  She was born in the late 80s.  My kids were born the the mid 70's.

Trusted Contributor

@Caligurll   I ruined so many shoes with those darn skates. 

Super Contributor

Odd.. I would think rotary dial phone for sure, black and white T.V. turn knob with rabbit ears. No digital anything analog clocks and manual wind watches IDK when the first watches came out with batteries. No microwave ovens, 8 track tape player, almost no push button anything only thing I can remember push button, is the car radio with the few silver buttons, and some vending machines. Oh and purculator's for coffee that's how my folks made coffee. There was instant at some point, but IDK when that came available on the market. Alos the home stero or hi-fi I think it was called.

Our genrations form of recycle  the glass bottle pepsi and soda 8 packs that we saved and took to the store next time (best tasting pop ever). Also the good word of people in general I remember my mom getting very rarely small grocery delivery, very rare in those days usally snow was bad something, the items usally came from the small corner market they weren't on a CC or check written that I know of I just know there was a (line of credit) at the store which my father would pay up when he was paid. 

Super Contributor

I have a vague recollection of a man with his horse pulling a wagon full of produce, going up and down the alley in Chicago, and also an ice box (what is now a refrigerator with a block of ice inside to cool the food).  How about a pedal sewing machine and one of those big old radios that probably stood 4 ft high.