Esteemed Contributor

Things You Grew Up With Your Kids......

would think odd.  Rotary phones and party lines, milk boxes on the porch, opening the frig and seeing damp clothes rolled in plastic (to be ironed), we had a bread man (Strohman) who came in truck (had bread, rolls,cupcakes), Dad's insurance agent came to the house to get premium payments (in suit and tie) and visited with parents for awhile,we got physicals at the school grades 1-6, my parents had gone to schoool with most of my classmates parents, Drs. made housecalls, I'm sure I was never in a carseat as a youngster. I remember no seatbelts in cars.

I'm sure they are more.  I know there have been variations on this theme but it's still interesting.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Re: Things You Grew Up With Your Kids......

Men wearing hats, I remember my dad coming home from work in the Winter, suit and tie, heavy coat and hat

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor

My first computer as a teen was an Apple IIe with no hard drive and one 64K floppy disk.
Honored Contributor

Having to get up from the couch to change the tv channels or to adjust the volume.  Having only a handful of channels to watch.  Rushing home to see a favorite show. 📺 

Honored Contributor

A manual metal eggbeater.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Wringer washing machine, the ice man, the coal man, the milk man with milk in glass bottles, a man in a panel truck with everything from fruits and vegetables to house dresses. As we got older I remember the Charles Chip man and the Coca Cola man coming too.  We had a phone where the operator came on to connect your calls.  The rotary and party line came later.

Esteemed Contributor

il_794xN.1744849290_55gt.jpg

Honored Contributor

Having one channel through my whole childhood. When cable finally was available, my folks didn’t go for it till years later.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Esteemed Contributor

I forgot about Charles Chips.  We had a wringer washer too.  As a kid I was told to stay away from it.  I did, but only after I tried to "help" and got my thumb caught in the darned thing.  BTW I got no sympathy from my grandmother. lol

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Having to wait A WHOLE YEAR to see the replay of The Wizard Of OZ shown around Christmas time on our 13 inch back and white  RCA TV. We did finally get a color TV....but still had to wait  the entire year to see it.   No video rentals😄