Honored Contributor

Re: Things I Can't Bring Myself To Eat

@MoonieBaby,

My in-laws made scrapple, which is like polenta with lean ground pork added.   What I watched them make numerous times was not a conglomeration of slaughterhouse scrap.  Scrapple was a favorite recipe and making it was one of their family traditions.

My husband and I came from families who  raised, killed and processed their own pork. 

The ground meat that went into the scrapple mixture looked exactly like it was ready for the seasonings to turn it into sausage.   Those scrap pieces were trimmed off the shoulders, hams, tenderloin and bacon slabs when they cut the hog into pieces to wrap for the freezer.   Super sharp knives trimmed the meat clean away from the bone, and this is what was ground for this recipe; no organ meats were added to their scrapple.   

The meat was cooked in a large canner, seasonings were added, along with cornmeal to tighten it up.   At this point it was ladeled into loaf pans and refrigerated until solid, before removing from the pans and wrapped for the freezer.   My husbands family took great pride in making scrapple.  

I really wasn’t a big fan, but then I don’t like polenta either.   

Honored Contributor

It just goes to show you can't force people to eat things ,they find abhorrent. I never had much luck with my daughter ,eating things she didn't like. She would gag, and that was that

My son always has hated lima beans ,and he still does, he is a grown man

Honored Contributor

brains, tongue, kidneys..........you get the idea(!)

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Respected Contributor

Liver

Organ meats ? whatever that means 😆 

Frogs

I actually had sushi a while back for the first time and it was pretty good! 🍱🍣

Esteemed Contributor

Anything Raw ....(except veggies)

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee 

@SilleeMee wrote:

I can't even stand the thought of Tako (Japanese 'food')...look it up and see for yourself.

I looked it up........OH UGH........now I'm gonna have nightmares!  di

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Esteemed Contributor

Fish and lamb. Years ago, my husband and I were invited to dinner at his French student’s home in Paris. Thankfully he served a great deal of French wine so that by the time the gigot d’agneau was served, I was able to eat it, Years later, at a chef-owned hotel in southern France, a fish course was offered. I admit that the chef was so talented that I was actually able to eat that fish.

Respected Contributor

I am pretty fearless eater. I will try pretty much anything.  I do draw the line at insects. Nope. They creep me out alive and I couldn't bear the thought of swallowing one.

I've had tako.  It's not bad. Not my favorite Japanese cuisine but not horrible. Sushi and sashimi are my favorite foods.

Honored Contributor

@Ms tyrion2 wrote:

I am pretty fearless eater. I will try pretty much anything.  I do draw the line at insects. Nope. They creep me out alive and I couldn't bear the thought of swallowing one.

I've had tako.  It's not bad. Not my favorite Japanese cuisine but not horrible. Sushi and sashimi are my favorite foods.

@Ms tyrion2ditto!  I couldn't do it.

And peas.  I hate them, and if one or more somehow ends up on my plate, I flick them.

Honored Contributor

The question is what will I eat? I'm really picky, if I don't like the way something looks or smells, I'm not trying it. I am not an adventurous eater.