Respected Contributor

Re: Things I Can't Bring Myself To Eat

I can't remember what my parents didn't like and wonder if my dislikes came from them?  Interesting.  I do remember being forced to eat meat as a child as was DH.  Neither of us wanted any meat.  Are most children llike that?  We don't have children Woman Sad

Respected Contributor

Lamb

Most beef (except for stew and for chili w hamburg)

Organ meats, tripe/tongue/scrapple and that ilk

Mushrooms any style

Clams (i like raw oysters on the half shell)

Milk

Cottage cheese

Feta

Respected Contributor

I don't eat eggs, mushrooms, liver or other organ meat, okra, spinach, octopus, snails and lamb. Oh and no game meat.  I just eat too much of the things that I do like. 

Respected Contributor

Scrapple.  Went to grade school in a suburb of Philly and scrapple with stewed tomatoes was served for lunch once a week. 

Respected Contributor

THANKS A BUNCH REDTOP - YOUR FAM'S RECIPE SOUNDS KINDA DELISH I MUST ADMIT Smiley Happy

HOME MADE SCRAPPLE - I HAD NO IDEA PEOPLE COULD MAKE IT PALATABLE.

SOUNDS LIKE IF I HAD WHAT YOUR FAMILY MADE - PERHAPS I'D GIVE IT A SHOT, IT DOESN'T SOUND SCARY LLIKE THE MASS PRODUCED STUFF DOES.

Respected Contributor

This was so much fun to look back on, thanks!

Respected Contributor

I have an old cookbook that my grandmother presented to my mother when she got married in 1948.  The recipes in this cookbook are very basic but things I can't believe people used to prepare and enjoy.  Examples:  calf's head stock, possum stew, salt sturgeon boats - well you get the picture. 

I think the tastes we have become accustomed to have greatly changed over the years, thanks to loads of sugar and processed foods.

Flowers are nature's way of laughing
Honored Contributor

Sushi - I have never even tried it

"Faith, Hope, Love; the greatest of these is Love." ~The Silver Fox~
Honored Contributor

@AnikaBrodie   Good sushi is amazing, it has to be fresh and from a place you know. I could eat sushi everyday. I love shush but not really a fish eater, sushi is a delicacy

@AnikaBrodie wrote:

Sushi - I have never even tried it

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

The first time I visited my former in-laws overnight...opened the freezer to find a squirrel staring at me....it was quite an adjustment for me....no way would I even consider it! They also had fried fish every morning for breakfast along with pork sausage and ham. No.
No shellfish except shrimp. No undercooked or “rare” food like tuna,beef, pork or chicken, or runny eggs. No scrapple or head cheese or sausage (I saw how it’s made)No mushrooms, beets, or olives.