Honored Contributor

They would be amazed at the technology

at our disposal today.

I'm speaking of the founding fathers. Watching the proceedings in capitol hill today and wondering what those first government founders and leaders would think of the American public having such amazing access to the inner workings up front and live of their government at work.

I think they would be for the most part, pleased at the ability for the entire population to experience what only they could at their time.

I'm guessing people will form opinions based on soundbites, which is too bad, because there have been hours of incredible 'government at work' action, and thought provoking questions and statements.

Hopefully this thread will stand if we focus on the amazing abilities we have to now see our process in action, compared to generations of the past.

Honored Contributor

Re: They would be amazed at the technology

What do you mean founding fathers? 

I'm amazed!   I was born in the day before color TV, jet airplanes, space travel, penicillin...........

I believe they would be proud that we fight for freedom all over the globe.

Respected Contributor

Pretty sure they'd be "amazed" for other reasons.

Respected Contributor

I don't really know what they would think or feel.

Honored Contributor

There does seem to be some idea that we should drag baseball into the congress to address the use of drugs in the sport, but not question things going on inside the actual government. 

I'm pretty sure they'd be amazed at that kind of thought process as well.

Honored Contributor

Founding Fathers certainly wouldn't believe what is happening in this country. Shootings, emails, lies, bloviating and baseball.

Honored Contributor

Most of all they would be amazed at their own longevity.

QVC Customer Care

Honored Contributor

I'm not so sure they'd be pleased that we all have access -  I certainlyu would have had no vote in those days.

But it certainly is different. I wonder what percentage of the people then had any idea what was going on with government, what with newspapers and letters taking months to get out into the communities.  And then, many could not read, so they had to have human contact with someone who could just to learn.   So different I can't imagine.

Honored Contributor

@millieshops wrote:

I'm not so sure they'd be pleased that we all have access -  I certainlyu would have had no vote in those days.

But it certainly is different. I wonder what percentage of the people then had any idea what was going on with government, what with newspapers and letters taking months to get out into the communities.  And then, many could not read, so they had to have human contact with someone who could just to learn.   So different I can't imagine.

@millieshops

This is kind of what I was getting at. Back in the day, the citizens had to rely on what very little written (and outdated) word reached them, and most of that came with the same 'slant' one way or the other that we get from media today.

I watched today's proceedings with the fascination that I didn't have to get half truths or slanted views, but see what actually transpired, sentence by sentence, person by person, with actual attitudes, inflections etc. that can't or isn't captured in the written word. 

I don't think much of America will be as impressed or fascinated as I was with this today, but it did give me food for thought about the opportunities we have today, that people then could never even imagine.