Super Contributor

Re: They will not persue a lawsuit

Not sueing, does not mean not accepting a settlement.  I am sure they were already paid off by Disney - the last thing Disney wants is more publicity on this, no matter what the cost.

Honored Contributor

@castlenv wrote:

I am SURE Disney has settled without a lawsuit.  They would not like the unfavorable publicity and I would hope that the family got a significant settlement from them.  It was Disney's fault.

The day after the tragedy I read somewhere that Disney always offers large settlements in serious cases like this one, so I'm sure too that they already received compensation.

Disney has also fenced off the beaches and put up specific signage. I go there at least once a year, usually in the Spring. They have been bombarding me with deals - and I've seen a lot of national TV ads too.

Esteemed Contributor

@ROMARY wrote:

Let's wish them all the best. Better to move on, in the long run, instead of the stress and time frame of a lawsuit battle.  I'm glad that more warning signs are being displayed.   Seriously, had I been there at the time, I wouldn't have thought about alligators being near the sand/lake-front area. 

--------------------

I read on some website - didn't save it - that a Disney employee stated that at night that sandy area looked like Jurassic Park!!!  And that many Disney people were aware of the many creatures in that lake! 

Respected Contributor

Were there really two alligators?  I thought they didn't travel in pairs.

Honored Contributor

They don't have to.  I have no doubt that there has already been an extremely generous settlement and they signed a non disclosure agreement. 

Honored Contributor

I'd bet the ranch Disney is not only offering up a substantial settlment but is probably also endowing the foundation... significantly...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Frequent Contributor

@stevieb wrote:

I'd bet the ranch Disney is not only offering up a substantial settlment but is probably also endowing the foundation... significantly...

Yes. I believe so too. Those poor parents. Such a horrible loss.

Honored Contributor

To someone who asked: they pulled four alligators out of the lake.

I've been to that exact resort. My children and I have have walked in the water, along the shoreline. I remember watching my children and others (when toddlers) playing in the same spot, picking stones out of the water and just enjoying.....Life. There but for the Grace of God.....

I can't imagine their pain.

Sueing Disney would do what? Get signage? They're  doing that. Putting a fence up? They're doing that. Make people aware of what happened? Already done courtesy of the news and social media.

What they WON'T have to deal with is hearing the horrible event played over and over and over again in court, on the news covering the suit, in the paper, etc. I wouldn't want to hear about my child's death and all the gory details; would you?

Last, I would bet my house that Disney paid them a VERY large settlement as well as donated to the Foundation. Again, good for the parents for doing this- at least now a bunch of lawyers won't get the biggest chunk of it.

I hope, with all my heart, they are able to find peace. 

Respected Contributor

I'm sure not pursuing a lawsuit will relieve them of having people blaming them for what happened.

Trusted Contributor

@missy1  yup, Wholeheartedly agree.  And, a gag clause is part of it.