Valued Contributor

They really seem to be pushing the Q card.

If you have one is there an advantage or disadvantage to having one?

Honored Contributor

Re: They really seem to be pushing the Q card.

I only happen to have one because, some 15+ years ago, they just sent it to me in the mail.  They never had me fill out an application, never got my SS# or anything.   

So, that said, what I use it for is just basically one thing - to keep track of what I spend here.  So I just use that card when I buy something here and I know each month how much I've spent.   It's not so much an issue now but in years past I was spending a LOT here.

Needless to say, I pay it off each month.  

That is probably the one good reason to have something like this.  Just like with Amazon - I have one of their reward cards that I use for all my Amazon purchases so I know what I'm spending.  Now, THERE is a place where I really do still need to keep track!

Super Contributor

What makes you say that? Could it be the giant sized one that David V held up during his show today? I would get one, but I need more incentive than Easy pay. HSN gives ten or twenty dollars off when you sign up for one.
"I always have a chair for you in the smallest parlor in the world, to wit, my heart." --Emily Dickinson
Honored Contributor

I'm impervious to the pushing, so much so that I actually don't hear them say it.  Just as when I pay at Macys or wherever (and they always do because they'd lose their jobs if they didn't) "Will this be on your Macy's card?" I already have my Visa in my hand. 

Honored Contributor

Sometimes are are advantages to having store cards.  Nordstrom and Amazon give reward points that translate into dollars.  My American Express gives a gift certifcate to Costo (until next March).  Macy often gives an extra 15 to 20% off for using the card.  As long as you pay off the card each month they are a good deal. 

Esteemed Contributor

Yes they are pushing it a lot.  I don't have one and I never will.  And frankly the fact that they are pushing it so hard is a turn off for me.  People get into trouble with easy pay, because before you know it, the easy pays really add up.  I know QVC is there to sell and make money, and that is fine.  But to enable people who don't watch their spending to over spend, and then profit from late fees and interest, is just wrong.

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Honored Contributor

@Beauty2B wrote:
What makes you say that? Could it be the giant sized one that David V held up during his show today? I would get one, but I need more incentive than Easy pay. HSN gives ten or twenty dollars off when you sign up for one.

The q just had a promotion were you got $10 for signing up.

I have one and like to keep my q purchases separate.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I've never used one -- I generally just keep a couple of major credit cards (no debit cards) that have good benefits and leave it at that.  The company managing the Q Card had a lot of problems and complaints when they were GE Capital -- now they've changed the name  to Synchrony Bank and their BBB rating looks okay.  Maybe those with experience with GE Capital and Synchrony can advise you, @allaries.  It's important to know about the company because that's who you'll deal with if problems arise.

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Respected Contributor

@allaries wrote:

If you have one is there an advantage or disadvantage to having one?

If you don't pay off your balance every month, the interest rates on various credit cards should determine which one you use.  Call around and compare rates.  If you want to have all your QVC purchases on one bill and pay off your balance, the Q Card is the way to go.

I make sure that I don't incur 3 easy pays on every purchase, though, because they tend to mount up and you get surprised with a big bill!

Esteemed Contributor

I have one for years ..... my balance got pretty high and even when I paid more than they were asking for it never really reduced the balance because the interest was redicilious .. it's something like 29% or more .... I bit the bullet and paid it off .... I feel so much better now .... now when I order I use my visa & it comes right out of my checking account ... no more Q card balance!!!!!!!