Trusted Contributor

Yep, those are the ones I remember. Then it's the 17 years one that stands out. So many in MD, lol. I did go through them with my 2 oldest (they reminded me of it). 

Friend in Ellicott City MD told me she went for a walk this morning and was admiring a flowering tree. She asked herself " Why is the bark moving so much?"  LOLOL. It  wasn't the bark, it was the cicada's under the bark coming up and the bark moving as they wiggled around. She noticed ALL the trees in that row had moving bark and she felt sick to her stomach....like she was in a horror movie. She arrived home VERY quickly, lol.

So, they're there where she is!

"Coming to ya from Florida"
Honored Contributor

Re: They're certainly back

[ Edited ]

Update on the the little critters.  They ARE EVERYWHERE!  They are all crawling out of their holes and trying to find a tree.  A lot of them are dead.  Their little bodies littered all over the grass and pavements.  A lot of them fell over stuck on their backs.  Some just can't find a tree.  They're pathetic trying to fly. They don't really fly, they lurch!  Not the smartest insects.  But I've grown a little fond of them.  I helped one flip back over.  I did it with my shoe, but I got him flipped over again. I tried to pick one up to put him on a tree.  But he kept falling out of my hand. It bothers me to see them suffer.  Although it's Nature's way.

Honored Contributor

@songbird wrote:

@FiddleDeeDee   Yes.  There is a 15 year variety, a 7 year, etc.  But the 17 year one is the one everyone remembers.  We missed the 15 year one even though It hit our state.  The specific area missed us.  Brood X is more wide spread. 

Countries that have noxious insect invasions the most is Australia with his plague of hopping frogs.  Think of the number of cicadas then number it with frogs. Horrible snakes that always seem to get inside houses.  Terrible heat too.  So some places get stuff a lot worse then what we get.

@songbird 

And dont forget those HUGE Austrilian spiders that come into homes....

Huntsman home invasions triggered by weather, spider expert says, and  they'll eat each other rather than you - ABC News

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Super Contributor

My little boy loves these cicadas! He picks them up and lets them crawl on his arm, and gives them names. It's very strange, because one day there was a stink bug in the bathroom and he wouldn't go in there because he was afraid of it. But he'll play with cicadas all afternoon!