Honored Contributor

Re: They're Up, Up, and Away in Albuquerque Today

@haddon9 wrote:

@Kachina624 That must have been a sight for your friend to see! Smiley Happy

@haddon9    Yes, I imagine it woke up the neighborhood plus everybody's dog (s) go beserk.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

Oh my God that looks absolutely amazing. So colorful and I bet spectacular to see.

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 ....Thanks for posting!  It is beautiful!  A few years ago my DH and I were traveling to the Grand Canyon.  We thought we missed the Balloon Fest.  But, as luck would have it we were there in time.  Driving down highway we saw balloons and found a place to pull over.  We stopped and enjoyed it all one morning..just awesome.  I would really love to be close in the park and watch the launching of these big balloons.

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Kachina624 They are absolutely beautiful, and such excitement to be close to them when they inflate.

We have balloon launchings in Nebraska (not many balloons) - unfortunately most of the time they don't lift off because of the wind - but when they do they are amazing.  One town is near the Scottsbluff Monument, you can hike to the top to view, (only if you're fit though).A very small but fun balloon and wine festival is near me.  Part of an event package was a host hotel, with transportation to the festival grounds.  First few years was fine, then the last year it turned into a "party bus".  OMG my sister and I laughed at the obviously drunk people on the bus, and I haven't went since then.  I'm way past the party bus age to ever enjoy that again.

We were able to place our lawn chairs near the launch site, and watched the balloons being unpacked, filled and launched.  Then when the night came, they would perform their "glow" and dance to the music.  It was fun.

Another event I was able to attend in a neighboring state - they had drop sites, games of precision where they would lower to the ground, toss a bean bag with streamer attached and try to bullseye it.  Again, though our wind is so iffy, out of the 5 days I was there, they only flew 2 days. However that event & state (Indianola Iowa) had some wonderful wineries, so the week wasn't lost.  

I would love to visit Albequerque during the festival, if only I could find a tourist planned trip for that.

Honored Contributor

I love the Balloon Fiesta!  I haven't been back since leaving back in 1995.  Wow!  That was so long ago.  They used to land in our neighborhood.  It was so cool to see it in person.

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.
Esteemed Contributor

@Kachina624 - Beautiful pictures. Looks like a gorgeous morning to send those balloons Up, Up, and Away! Love the colors Thanks! Riley1
Honored Contributor

@SurferWife wrote:

I love the Balloon Fiesta!  I haven't been back since leaving back in 1995.  Wow!  That was so long ago.  They used to land in our neighborhood.  It was so cool to see it in person.

@SurferWife    Everything is so built up now, they have trouble find places for them to land.  If you have a big lot and you don't mind, you're supposed to put a big white X on your property.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 

Oh, how breathtakingly beautiful !!!   Woman Surprised

Who will have the best TV coverage of these events?  Surely, someone is filming a special about them .... right?

Trusted Contributor

Absolutely spectacular! I would love to see this in person some day!

Esteemed Contributor

We tried to go to first day's assent about 13-14 years ago and wouldnt you know it, it was cancelled due to wind!  I did learn that Gallup ( only 2 hrs from home) has a large balloon festival the first week in Dec, so maybe I' ll make that soon!