Respected Contributor

Re: They're Up, Up, and Away in Albuquerque Today

@Kachina624 

Beautiful!!  We had an annual balloon festival here in Littleton CO for many years, it was across the street at Chatfield State Park, was great viewing from our porch but has stopped. Enjoy!!

Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44    I listed two TV stations that have live coverage starting about 8:30am et.  They have websites where you can watch it live on your computer, phone or whatever.  There's a ton of information online about every aspect of the fiesta.

They had a balloon glow scheduled for this evening but it became quite breezy due to down drafts from some thunderstorms in the area so they may have had to cancel it.  They are trying to break a record for participants set by Saudi Arabia last March.  The balloons are tethered but dance around too much in wind.  They could catch fire.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 

What a magnificent site how lucky are you to be able to see this spectacular event!!

The colors are amazing ...

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@patbz wrote:

We tried to go to first day's assent about 13-14 years ago and wouldnt you know it, it was cancelled due to wind!  I did learn that Gallup ( only 2 hrs from home) has a large balloon festival the first week in Dec, so maybe I' ll make that soon!

@patbz    Gallup has a beautiful setting in the red rocks but so do we at the foot of the Sandias.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 - What beautiful pictures! I would never go up in a balloon, because I'm afraid of heights. But not too far from us you can soar over land and water

To you and all of the other lucky residents there - Happy Golden Anniversary!  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@phoenixbrd wrote:

@Kachina624 A spectacular sight!  Thanks for the share, one day we would love to attend.  Enjoy!

Thank you Kachina, We had the races a few weeks ago in Reno, however it was smokey.  Your pictures are fantastic.

Respected Contributor

@Kachina624  What a sight to see.  Spectacular!  LM

Trusted Contributor

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@beach-mom wrote:

@Kachina624 - What beautiful pictures! I would never go up in a balloon, because I'm afraid of heights. But not too far from us you can soar over land and water

To you and all of the other lucky residents there - Happy Golden Anniversary!  Smiley Happy

@beach-mom 

This is strange, but I'm also afraid of heights; yet, when I'm in the basket, I don't have that sensation of height.  I've heard this from other people, too.

Can't explain it.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Esteemed Contributor

@Kachina624 

My all time favorite fiesta.   I've been to two over the years, the first about 26 years ago, when Jill and Carolyn had a booth ... they were great together way back then.