Honored Contributor

Re: They laid off the wrong hosts

[ Edited ]

Actually one of the few positions that are protected are tenured full professors at university.  The reason for that is to protect Academic freedom.  It's almost a universal system.  Most countries that have freedom of speech have tenured professors. it's basically employment with no expiration date. They aren't granted that right away either.  It's after a six tear probationary period. If they are denied, they can challenge it. I think there is another probationary period.  

Another one is Supreme court judges.  That is a life time position.  So there are protected employment.  So pretty much anyone with a very long employment record can go on the whim of anybody high up either private or government positions.  But the academic world has always been separate from corporations.  Lately there have been attacks on that.  I think in Florida they passed a law that professors have to have limited contracts.  That's dangerous.  Increasingly Academic schools come under the influence of Corporations. 

Respected Contributor

Sometimes I run into people, on line and in real life, who have not had a job in a long time, and who just don't understand today's workplace. There are very few instances of "should do" and more of "have to do".

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Honored Contributor

@CalminHeart 

Unless you have worked for 'most' companies in America, you can't not speak to what their policies are regarding employees.  That is a blanketed statement that has no merit.  You may perceive this because of the company you worked at, but I have not found this to be true.  There are many excellent companies.

Just because QVC made decisions regarding their staff, does not make them a greedy, evil corporation.

Respected Contributor

@Fionna IMHO this was not a great move. ANtoinella

and Gabrielle were two of my most watchable hosts.

This puts more pressure on remaining hosts to be more and more chirpy, loud and manic.

Anyone see RD with the TSV moving the rings back and forth, back and forth manically. He was bouncing on his feet. No measurement of ring, no discussion of 

hardness on Mohs scale or durability, no showing inside of ring.

I'm still waiting for 2 eyeliners ordered July 3. Just about done with QVC.

Honored Contributor

@JackieHN wrote:

Paid off my Q card and I'm done. They fired the wrong host. Antonella has 22K followers on facebook. She was a breath of fresh air. This was her dream job and she worked hard at it. Fire the newer hosts who add nothing to QVC. 

@JackieHN 

Seriously?  I loved Antonella too but I am not about to stop shopping because a company had to make personnel decisions.  Sure, it is sad the hosts that were laid off, but I don't know them personally.  SMH

Esteemed Contributor

@maximillian wrote:

@HLP   

The three you list are on all the time, along with Amy.  Now we will see and hear them more and more...unless we turn off QVC.  That is a better option these days.

True....you also forgot   KL and JC.....ever present these days

Honored Contributor

@songbird wrote:

Actually one of the few positions that are protected are tenured full professors at university.  The reason for that is to protect Academic freedom.  It's almost a universal system.  Most countries that have freedom of speech have tenured professors. it's basically employment with no expiration date. They aren't granted that right away either.  It's after a six tear probationary period. If they are denied, they can challenge it. I think there is another probationary period.  

Another one is Supreme court judges.  That is a life time position.  So there are protected employment.  So pretty much anyone with a very long employment record can go on the whim of anybody high up either private or government positions.  But the academic world has always been separate from corporations.  Lately there have been attacks on that.  I think in Florida they passed a law that professors have to have limited contracts.  That's dangerous.  Increasingly Academic schools come under the influence of Corporations. 

@songbird 

All Public school teachers are tenured in NYS.  Used to be after 3 years, now 4.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@RespectLife  Yes, I know about the NY public schools.  I was thinking of university as I work in one.  There is controversy with some of the quality of the teachers.  But the academic world should be separate from the corporate world on how long they keep teachers.  No matter what the qualifications.  They can always be denied though.

Honored Contributor

@Imaoldhippie wrote:

"Crappy" hosts?  How rude and degrading.  Just because you do not care for them does not make them crappy.

@Imaoldhippie   I agree. 

Considering we have at least 10 threads complaining about who was let go and who remains-not counting the threads closed or removed.

I truly believe some just see a similar thread and decide to start yet another one.

I really liked Antonella but I'm not about to smash down those who remain.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Contributor

Get over it already.    Many people (including two in my family) have had turmoil in their employment situation recently.   The world is struggling economically.   Antonella was not my favorite host on air and her recent whining on social media made me like her even less.