Frequent Contributor

They laid off the wrong hosts

They should fired the one who laid off the great hosts. He let go the best ones and kept some crappy ones. I guess being with a company for years and giving your all does not mean anything to that one.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: They laid off the wrong hosts

[ Edited ]

This may come as a surprise to you, but salespeople do not get tenure.

A business sole purpose is to make money.

Why people have such difficulty understanding that basic concept, I don't know.

People across this country are losing their jobs, and yes, some of them have been with the same employer for over two decades.

But a business will do what it has to do to stay operational.

Even if it means letting go of long term employees.

That is true of ANY business.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Trusted Contributor

How do you know they were 'laid off' ?  Maybe they felt it was a good time for them to go.  Maybe they had enough money to retire...maybe their significant other wanted them to leave and '''be safe'''..maybe one income @ home was enough and they didn't have to work.  Reading these posts makes me envision them getting a boot to their rear and pushed out the door...which I hardly think was the case.  Maybe it was amicable departure.

Respected Contributor

@sarahpanda wrote:

How do you know they were 'laid off' ?  Maybe they felt it was a good time for them to go.  Maybe they had enough money to retire...maybe their significant other wanted them to leave and '''be safe'''..maybe one income @ home was enough and they didn't have to work.  Reading these posts makes me envision them getting a boot to their rear and pushed out the door...which I hardly think was the case.  Maybe it was amicable departure.

And how convienent if that were all true! So thoughtful to give their jobs up to save QVC their salaries as hosts at the higher end of the pay scale so QVC can keep the cheaper, newer hosts they hired two years ago that they didn't need.

How lucky four of the hosts decided to become unemployed on the same day, and how shameful of them to indicate through their social media that it was not their choice to leave when according to you, it was their significant others' choice to become a single-income family during challenging economic times, because they want their partner to "be safe" while continuing to work hard on QVC2, on an empty, darkened set.

If I wanted to enter your world make-believe, sunnyskies, where every sentence has a "maybe," I'd turn on Mr. Rogers' Neighborhood. 

Honored Contributor

@sarahpanda wrote:

@sarahpanda  - No one had enough money to retire.  Antonella, for one, told the world on FB that she had no idea it was coming and was very upset about it.  She spent many hours crying about it.  

Honored Contributor

@sarahpanda wrote:

@sarahpanda 

Then you think wrong, they were "blindsided" and had no idea it was coming as stated in @San Antonio Gal's post above.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

None of us knows what criteria was used to decide to lay off.  Many businesses just lay off those who have contracts up for renewal.  Also, those op calls "crappy" may be ones many others like.  Not our business so not any of our choices!!!!!!   Usually only union shops have to use seniority otherwise at the mercy of the employer!!  

Regular Contributor

As long as QVC has David, Jane T and Shawn they are happy.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Anonymous032819 wrote:

People across this country are looking their jobs, and yes, some of them have been with the same employer for over two decades.

Yes, businesses need to be profitable and I'm all for that.  I think people would be more understanding of layoffs if companies treated employees at least half decent and were concerned about un-profitable aspects of their businesses.  

I worked for what became an international Fortune 500 corporation for nearly 40 years.  The positions I had gave me direct insight into their HR and Budget policies and procedures and it wasn't pretty.  You wouldn't believe how employees were talked about and treated.  Their reasoning for many policies and treatment were downright cruel sometimes.  This is the American way for most big businesses these days.

Honored Contributor

@CalminHeart wrote:

@Anonymous032819 wrote:

People across this country are looking their jobs, and yes, some of them have been with the same employer for over two decades.

Yes, businesses need to be profitable and I'm all for that.  But it's always employees who take the hits while the execs keep getting their huge bonuses, salaries, and stock while inefficiences and unnecessary functions/processes stay.  It's the new American way.

@CalminHeart   There is absolutely nothing new about that. In fact it is getting better than it used to be.