Honored Contributor

Re: They Upped Our Possible Snow Totals.

They lowered our total by quite a lot.  It was supposed to be over 7".  Now it'll be 2" but quite a lot ice will be on top.  Our temps was supped to be33F, so I can see how this would happen. I'd rather have the snow then the ice......

Honored Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2   No caffeine? That is an "Oh cr*p" in my book!!!  I have an old drip pot for such emergencies. I can boil water on my gas stove or on the outdoor grill, pour the water through the coffee in the filter and I'm good!!! I'll put my carton of fat free1/2 & 1/2 in an ice filled bucket before I go to sleep....all ready here.

Esteemed Contributor

I got rid of our gas grill after DH died.  That grill did come in handy one day when the power went out.  I was in the middle of making gravy chicken and biscuits. Luckily, the chicken was cooked biscuits had just come out of the oven.

Hubby cranked up the grill and I finish the gravy outside.

Honored Contributor

I hope your power doesn't go out @CrazyKittyLvr2 .  Stay safe!

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Esteemed Contributor

Big NY storm at State Fair time (August - so no snow). years ago.......big blackout.  3 family members visiting from TN - before generator was installed .....gas grill only source for cooking.

Young couple across the street were losing their refrigerated food fast by day 2 or 3......we became the cooking center for 3 plus 2 plus 2 of us = 7 people.  I got very creative in cooking neighbor's food as well as ours. 

It was sort of an adventure - showers in the dark - baby screamed at bath time - flashlight wasn't his idea of normal.

Honored Contributor

@SharkE wrote:

We, in Amarillo, Tx done had 2 snowfalls LOL   Go figue. Colder then Alaska too. Northern winds howling.

@SharkE. It's bitterly cold here today with wind.  My dogs don't even want to go out.  We've had 3 snows, the most being 10".  Had 5" first of last week and there are still patches on North sides of hills and buildings.  Very unusual but its been so cold.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

I fully expect to lose power. We have lost power  at least once a year since we moved here.  The kicker is the neighbors on either side don't lose theirs.  I asked the power company why and they said it is the way the lines run. Huh?

There are 2 power companies available.  Our last house had the other company. We didn't lose one minute of power during the blizzard of 93, here a regular thunderstorm does it.

Honored Contributor

I don't think we've ever lost power during a snow storm (including the lightning that is embedded in snow storms)  Ours are usually during summer thunderstorms.  Although one time it went out while nothing was going on outside.  It just went....I remember I had a doctor's appointment to get ready when the power died.  I had to cancel!  We didn't get power back for 4 hours.  Still don't know how it happened.

Honored Contributor

@PA Mom-mom   Tiny bit of ice started at midnight and should melt by noon today. My grocery store was cleared out of the basics by 9 last night....eggs, bread, milk, etc. Gone....Crazy! Much worse than the TP and Clorox hoarders!!!

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

Since our state regs allow only 75 customers in a Super Walmart, people here have been waiting in lines for months.  Those lines don't move fast either.

I always wonder what people do with huge quantities of bread and milk after the storm as passed.  Bread pudding?

@Kachina624  OOH, great idea! I end up making French toast, freezing it on cookie sheet and then stacking it up in Lock N Lock, freezing again and eating it for breakfast for months. You can also freeze milk in smaller quantities in spaghetti sauce jars...that's what I use. Stays for months. Bread freezes, too.