Super Contributor

These 15 retailers may not survive 2018

Several surprising ones; Stein Mart, Burlington plus Christopher and Banks.

http://time.com/money/5083976/stores-closing-retail-bankruptcy-2018/?utm_source=time.com&utm_medium=...

Respected Contributor

Re: These 15 retailers may not survive 2018

[ Edited ]

This is no surprise to me. I have done most of my shopping on-line for years now.

I got very tired of looking for clothes that had every size except the one I was looking for, when I did find it it was sometime ratty with make-up etc.from being tried on by others. Sometimes they are totally out of whatever it is I want. 

I like having things delivered to my home so I'm not dealing with lack of sales help or help that stares blankly into space when asked a question! Retail is tough. Stores that haven't treated employees AND customers right will lose all the way around. 

Besides that, I can shop when it works for me, i.e. 2 in the morning if I can't sleep! My robe and slippers can't go to the mall....oh wait, you can do that at WM!

"Cats are poetry in motion. Dogs are gibberish in neutral." -Garfield
Honored Contributor

I loved Christopher and banks but if left our mall 2-3 years ago. Surprised about Stein Mart? Seriously where do we shop? I don't need much now however I like to try on things esp pants.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I really hate to hear this.  I do not like to see anything or anybody filing bankruptcy.  It means people have failed, people have lost jobs, more people whose families are stressed by financial woes.  It also means our clothes may not fit properly from here forward as manufacturers will not care about sizing as we will be dependent on them and we will wear what they halfway construct whether sizing is true or whether it fits the charts shown. 

We will be totally dependent on a machine for what we wear, a machine that will not talk to us, that evil computer which, to me, is the double-edged sword, good for a few matters, but so horrible overall and the worst part is that everything is becoming dependent on it, even to the gas stations, the water works, the farmers. 

I made a living long before computers were the normal, as did others.  I had more personal friends than Facebook friends, I attended church more frequently.  What does the computer have to do with church attendance? When one works from home, either employed or self-employed, employers and self expect a greater commitment to work than to church.  Our society only respects one religion at this time, and that is not mine.

People are more committed to running to Facebook for sociliazation than friends they made or would make in the workplace, in social clubs, through church, volunteer and charitable works, political and social involvement, through their children's or spouse's friends, etc. 

I do believe the computer is the root of all evil.  It has caused lives to be taken through the games that are on line, it has caused jobs to be abolished, caused people to attend church less frequently, to do less volunteer and charitable work and we give money on line to what, and to whom and they can hide how it is being spent because we never see the fruits of our money.  Sorry, on my soapbox today.  I lost my job due to computers a few years ago, way before I retired from my self-employment.  My daughter lost a very lucrative job.  Now my son has been caught in the trap.  These jobs are not going to be replaceable.  These jobs, very high-profile jobs, will never return.  Computers, cheap labor, the end of a great country, a great and charitable self-sufficient country.

If you look at what Bill Gates and his wife do for charity through the UN, all they do is not worth one human life that has been lost due to embellishing their financial status.  Every penny they give is an evil penny.  Even if they gave it all, they could never essuage their guilt due to the lives lost, the financial ruin to those families where the families are destroyed by their financial crisis, families where have been suicides or lives lost by mass murderers, and we see that not only those lost but the damage to perpetrators families.  We did not have all these rashes of mass murders until gaming on computers.  Every mass murderer has been a big computer geek, has spent time on line more than with others, and all the suicides I know of are the same. No amount of pills is going to cure a society of mass murderers, suicide victims or financially and spiritually bankrupt people 

Now off my soapbox.

Respected Contributor

Sear has just announced they are closing in Anchorage, Alaska. No surprise because Kmart pulled out of Alaska 15 years ago.

Honored Contributor

@Nonametoday.  I don't agree with much of what you say, but of course that is just my opinion. Will not address anything but mass murderers. They have been around since the beginning of time. Out of all of them only a small few have been around since computers.

Esteemed Contributor

@NonametodayAll I really saw of your post was the underlined part about the computer being the root of all evil.

The computer is a tool.  It's how it's used that makes it APPEAR evil or not.

I'm grateful for it for all the information I can get from it.  My neighbor is grateful for it for the research she can do to help her husband's oncologist (who is a close personal friend of theirs) treat the damage done by his treatments. 

The computer is not the root of all evil.  I can't think of anything that is.  The people who use it for evil purposes or in an evil way...save your criticism for them.

Keepin' it real.
Honored Contributor

That is what was so good about our country and still is, we are entitled to our opinions.  You to yours and me to mine.  We all see the world through a different lens, some of us older, more saged through a wider lens.

Trusted Contributor

At one time, Stein Mart was my favorite store in which to shop.  It has now been at least 7 years since I have been inside one and I do miss it, in a way.  But like others have mentioned, I now do ALL my shopping online.  I know the exact sizes I need from QVC, Nordstrom, Macy's, etc. and rarely, very rarely have to return anything.  

I guess for the sake of nostalgia only, I do hate to see Stein Mart close.  I have good memories of shopping in there on Saturdays when hubby would be out of town, or busy with other things. 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@waterlily wrote:

Several surprising ones; Stein Mart, Burlington plus Christopher and Banks.

http://time.com/money/5083976/stores-closing-retail-bankruptcy-2018/?utm_source=time.com&utm_medium=...

@waterlilyExcept for Sears (there's a hometown store near me), Stein Mart and Burlington, I don't think I've ever heard of the stores listed.  And of those three, I've only ever shopped at a Sears.

eta...And that was IN the store, not online.

Keepin' it real.