Trusted Contributor

Re: There seems to be the inability to discern the difference between

@Lila Belle wrote:

@RazorSharp wrote:

@MyGirlsMom wrote:

@RazorSharp  

I like you and usually agree with your posts but on this issue, I respectfully disagree.  Early this am, many of us were caught up with the vote in the UK, not really believing what were seeing.  CNBC showed the markets responding in Asia as well as DOW futures (down 717 points) and we were frightened.  It was akin to watching a train crash. So surreal.

@MyGirlsMom What you are talki about are the ramifications of the vote, not the vote itself.  The outcome was financial, but the intent of the vote was not to crash the workd's economy.

````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

The intent was nativism, ,nationalism.

Yeah, that's what the Nazis said, too.

Respected Contributor

@RazorSharp wrote:

@MyGirlsMom wrote:

@RazorSharp  

I like you and usually agree with your posts but on this issue, I respectfully disagree.  Early this am, many of us were caught up with the vote in the UK, not really believing what were seeing.  CNBC showed the markets responding in Asia as well as DOW futures (down 717 points) and we were frightened.  It was akin to watching a train crash. So surreal.

@MyGirlsMom What you are talki about are the ramifications of the vote, not the vote itself.  The outcome was financial, but the intent of the vote was not to crash the workd's economy.

But somehow, it did.  If one has no skin in the game, it becomes an emotional/gut reaction to a situation without considering the ramifications.  Dangerous on all counts, including not weighing all the possibilities because of an emotional surge in one's belly.  We coud all learn from this.

~The only difference between this place and the Titanic is that the Titanic had a band.~
Super Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

@ZoetheCat wrote:

@Mominohio wrote:

@ZoetheCat wrote:

@MyGirlsMom wrote:

Another area of concern is science and medicine.  The UK worked closely with other EU nations on scientific research and studies because of 'freedoms.'  Within the next two years, things will change and these same 'freedoms' won't be so easy.  Europe is on the cutting edge when it comes to Cancer research.

Again, I think it's a matter of "cutting off your nose to spite your face" as my mother always said.  There are so many repurcussions to this.  I understand the frustration.  But I think this vote is appealing to fear as opposed to "our better angels" to quote Abe Lincoln.

But let me offer up the 'fear factor' of the other side, that said basically we will have disaster if we leave.

I think in most cases, the fear card is played by both sides.

I see that there were just as many repercussions to leave the status quo, and it seems to me they people were looking to  get back their sovereignty. Not a bad thing in my opinion.

I truly do understand what you are saying and I do not want to get this thread poofed.  But the fact is, we (and Britain) live in a global economy.  No matter who you vote for, whether here, in Britain, or anywhere else, is going to change that.  The old jobs are not coming back.  No amount of "Brexit" is going to change that.  I think this is what I find so frustrating about the argument.  I feel like the people in power who favor this kind of "sovereignty" know that what they are proposing is not sustainable.  It's just politics to further their own very narrow agenda.

We definintely aren't going to rewind the global economy, but especially in the EU, they have lost much of their autonomy and sovereignty to the larger group. Every nation, in my opinon should be able to govern themselves, choose their destiny and not have to hold up the weak in their union if they choose not to or don't find value in doing so.

All nations are not the same, the peoples and cultures withing their borders vary, and it doesn't always work to have a 'one size fits all' mentality or we are all alike view of the world and they way they deal with things.

And I do think that some members of the EU are tired of some of the countries that they have to worry about bailing out.

Believe it or not, I actually agree with a lot of what you say.  Every nation has the right to vote however they choose.  I guess where I disagree with you is that I just don't think that what they are choosing is going to help them.  I just really don't think that a collapsing stock market and loss of jobs (which, let's face it, is inevitable) are going to be a good thing.  My friends and family have always accused me of being too practical.  I used to argue with that view, but actually I think they are right.  I care about how these positions are going to affect people today.  Not 50 years from now, but today.  Does anyone really think that this is going to help people today?

Esteemed Contributor

The main issue was not the economy, it was immigration.  The people of England who voted to leave the union did so because they wanted to close their borders to Muslim immigrants.  Yes, the outcome of the vote had an effect on the world economy, but that's not what the vote was about.  If you want to tell me that an entire nation voting on a major political agenda is not political, then you don't really understand the definition of politics.  Beth was correct, and she did her job.  I don't care if it was contentious.  It's not allowed.

@RazorSharp, YES!!!!!

*Call Tyrone*
Esteemed Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

@Jackaranda wrote:

JMO......too early to know if this is wonderful or a disaster. Will be interesting to see it play out.

Absolutely, and something that not many are considering. Only time will tell for sure.

I do know people here and in Europe are clamoring for change. They are sick of the status quo, and are willing to take a risk to see if things can be made better, outside the establishment.

That change can cost them their jobs and 4O1K's @Mominohio

Keep Your Face To The Sunshine and You Will Not See The Shadow
Honored Contributor

@ZoetheCat wrote:

@Mominohio wrote:

@ZoetheCat wrote:

@JavaQueen wrote:

It's frightening to me on so many levels. Ecobomic security is a big deal. It makes everything else possible. Once that no longer exists, then comes the chaos. I was displaced by one recession and would hate to see another. I wouldn't want anyone to go through what I have.

You have expressed this so succinctly in my opinion.  Obviously, the people of Britain have a right to vote any way they choose.  We, too, will have that choice in November.  But I think it is obvious that this vote is frightening, not just to us but, more importantly, to Great Britain.  This vote is against economic security, plain and simple.  I understand that there is frustration and people feel that they are not being heard.  But, seriously, does it not seem like they are making it a whole lot worse?  I just do not see how this is going to make the life of an average UK resident better.

I certainly won't pretent to be an expert in this issue, but I do have a firm belief that sometimes things can't be fixed, and need to be discarded. There will be pain. There will be a fall before the rise/growth can continue. Perhaps this is the beginning of that for Europe?

I hear what you are saying.  Sometimes it takes a long time for something to get better.  But I've read so many reports today which indicate that older Brits voted to leave, while their children (or at least the younger generation) voted to stay.  I have to ask, did these older Brits vote against the interests of their children?  I just believe that for the foreseeable future, Britain is in for a lot of pain.

That is the consensus (and the only consensus about this LOL). 

Not living in the EU, I don't think most of us can totally understand it fully, but if they are as frustrated as many here are, if they feel all their former glory is gone (that includes jobs/economy, political power in the region/world etc.) and they choose to rip off the scab, to bleed and apply medicine to heal, I think we have to respect that at least they are trying something, and not just plodding on in the same manner that isn't working/hasn't been working for them.

Esteemed Contributor

@RoughDraft wrote:

@RazorSharp wrote:

@MyGirlsMom wrote:

@RazorSharp  

But somehow, it did.  If one has no skin in the game, it becomes an emotional/gut reaction to a situation without considering the ramifications.  Dangerous on all counts, including not weighing all the possibilities because of an emotional surge in one's belly.  We coud all learn from this.

```````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

It's a warning of what happens when we choose to go it alone.

Honored Contributor

@MyGirlsMom wrote:

@RazorSharp  

I was watching, and I have to say, I felt it was much more media contrived hysteria. And I hope (and believe) that is exactly the way it will eventually play out, a lot of media hype, because that is what they do.

Honored Contributor

My daughter and her family are going to Europe (London, France, etc) this summer.

She was in the process of booking a house for a week in London.  The price of the house went up (because the dollar will be stronger) and then the price of the house went back down.....all while I was visiting her.

Honored Contributor

@MyGirlsMom wrote:

@Mominohio

No one or country can afford billions of dollars in change

We often are forced to endure change we cannot 'afford' and sometimes it is what has to be to make things better again.

These losses will be recouped. I felt as the day went on, the media was having a hard time convincing even themselves this was as bad as they wanted it to be.