Honored Contributor

Re: There seems to be the inability to discern the difference between

@MyGirlsMom wrote:

@Mominohio wrote:

@RoughDraft wrote:

Scotland has already mentioned seeking independence from GB and Ireland is seeking unification.  Europe's map is changing right before our eyes.

Perhaps there needs to be change. I am not stating that as a fact, but change is the only constant in life, and I'm sure some of the changes will be good, some won't, Just like the status quo would give us.

@Mominohio

Change is good as long as it doesn't harm people - 2,1 billion dollars lost globally isn't a good change.

Any change is going to have it's 'winners' and it's 'loosers'.

There may have to be a great deal of loss or pain before there is growth or advancement in any type of change. Rarely does it come without it.

Trusted Contributor

@Maudelynn wrote:

@RazorSharp wrote:

What was being discussed and was removed last night was a vote happening across the UK to determine whether or not the country would leave the European Union.  It was a hotly contested political issue which divided the nation. It had nothing to do with their economy, it had everything to do with the country's desire to depart the union in order to have autonomy when it comes to law-making.  The vote was preceded by public, political debates.  The main issue was not the economy, it was immigration.  The people of England who voted to leave the union did so because they wanted to close their borders to Muslim immigrants.  Yes, the outcome of the vote had an effect on the world economy, but that's not what the vote was about.  If you want to tell me that an entire nation voting on a major political agenda is not political, then you don't really understand the definition of politics.  Beth was correct, and she did her job.  I don't care if it was contentious.  It's not allowed.

Let's face it, everything is political.  Any conversation having to do with current events can be whittled down to politics. 

Everything is not political, but a country casting a historic vote is most definitely political.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Eeeks, I haven't watched the news.  I'll wait until things have settled.   Kind of thinking about Zoe's thought right now.  And now, MomInOhio:  'One size doesn't fit all'......  I'll remember that one.  ...........btw, my computer keeps downsizing my font down to practically nothing.........frustrating, to say the least.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Trusted Contributor

@MyGirlsMom wrote:

@RazorSharp  

I like you and usually agree with your posts but on this issue, I respectfully disagree.  Early this am, many of us were caught up with the vote in the UK, not really believing what were seeing.  CNBC showed the markets responding in Asia as well as DOW futures (down 717 points) and we were frightened.  It was akin to watching a train crash. So surreal.

@MyGirlsMom What you are talki about are the ramifications of the vote, not the vote itself.  The outcome was financial, but the intent of the vote was not to crash the workd's economy.

Esteemed Contributor

@Mominohio

No one or country can afford billions of dollars in change

Keep Your Face To The Sunshine and You Will Not See The Shadow
Honored Contributor

@HappyDaze wrote:

@Mominohio wrote:

@ZoetheCat wrote:

@JavaQueen wrote:

It's frightening to me on so many levels. Ecobomic security is a big deal. It makes everything else possible. Once that no longer exists, then comes the chaos. I was displaced by one recession and would hate to see another. I wouldn't want anyone to go through what I have.

You have expressed this so succinctly in my opinion.  Obviously, the people of Britain have a right to vote any way they choose.  We, too, will have that choice in November.  But I think it is obvious that this vote is frightening, not just to us but, more importantly, to Great Britain.  This vote is against economic security, plain and simple.  I understand that there is frustration and people feel that they are not being heard.  But, seriously, does it not seem like they are making it a whole lot worse?  I just do not see how this is going to make the life of an average UK resident better.

I certainly won't pretent to be an expert in this issue, but I do have a firm belief that sometimes things can't be fixed, and need to be discarded. There will be pain. There will be a fall before the rise/growth can continue. Perhaps this is the beginning of that for Europe?

That is a possibility for sure. It certainly can go either way- good or bad long-term-but what we do know is that things will be tough for awhile. How long? who knows. But it will be interesting (and a bit scary) to see how it all pans out.

How it pans out for the UK (and the future of the EU)  also depends on how the EU deals with the departure- the way they react and work with (or not) the UK to establish fair trade agreements, etc will make or break the outcome of this.

Agreed!

And as I posted on another thread that was closed, the scary part may come if other nations vote to leave as well, and everyone kind of jumps ship too quickly. This could lead to a mass exit from the EU, and it could have real consequences. 

Honored Contributor

@Jackaranda wrote:

JMO......too early to know if this is wonderful or a disaster. Will be interesting to see it play out.

Absolutely, and something that not many are considering. Only time will tell for sure.

I do know people here and in Europe are clamoring for change. They are sick of the status quo, and are willing to take a risk to see if things can be made better, outside the establishment.

Esteemed Contributor

@RazorSharp wrote:

@MyGirlsMom wrote:

@RazorSharp  

I like you and usually agree with your posts but on this issue, I respectfully disagree.  Early this am, many of us were caught up with the vote in the UK, not really believing what were seeing.  CNBC showed the markets responding in Asia as well as DOW futures (down 717 points) and we were frightened.  It was akin to watching a train crash. So surreal.

@MyGirlsMom What you are talki about are the ramifications of the vote, not the vote itself.  The outcome was financial, but the intent of the vote was not to crash the workd's economy.

````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

The intent was nativism, ,nationalism.

Honored Contributor

"It's not just migration, it's a shift of populations, as we had at the end of the war.

"There were displaced people all over the world whose homelands had been bombed to hell and were coming out of camps looking for somewhere to live and we solved it.

"There's ecological problems, environmental problems, there's huge discrepancy between rich and poor worldwide, and that should worry us. Becuase that leads to extremity.

"Surely, surely we can solve those problems better if we're united than if we close ourselves and shut our eyes.

"I am so proud to be British, really really I am. But I am also proud to be European.

Actress Sheila Hancock was the only force that could silence the rowdy final TV debate of the EU referendum as she gave a passionate defence of Europe.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/actress-sheila-hancocks-passionate-defence-8262513

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Esteemed Contributor

@RazorSharp wrote:

@MyGirlsMom wrote:

@RazorSharp  

@MyGirlsMom What you are talking about are the ramifications of the vote, not the vote itself.  The outcome was financial, but the intent of the vote was not to crash the workd's economy.

@RazorSharp

You are correct, the intent was not there but there were warning signs of what would and could happen. 

The #WhatDidWeDo was seen a lot today because people voted with their hearts instead of their heads.

Peace

Keep Your Face To The Sunshine and You Will Not See The Shadow