Esteemed Contributor

Re: There seems to be the inability to discern the difference between

@chrystaltree wrote:

@itiswhatitis wrote:

@HappyDaze wrote:

I do not see how those threads are really political versus financial. We are discussing a major world event that will affect the US and us personally, possibly in a major financial way.  I would very much like to be able to chat with others about this and get their thoughts on it. The threads aren't even contentious!

Do you understand the impetus for what happened in the UK?  If you do, just think about it you'd see how easily it could turn ugly.

..so....they shoud shut down a thread because it COULD turn ugly?  In that case, shut the whole board down because any thread COULD turn ugly. 

You act like this doesn't happen.  Does it?  It does!  Why?  We can't be civil.  We don't own these boards.  QVC does.  I see so many locked discussions and moved discussions it ain't funny.  Why is that?  Because they have become contentious, like someone is ALREADY trying to be with me.  Why?  What does it do?

*Call Tyrone*
Valued Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

@Maudelynn wrote:

From what I understand, citizens will not be able to travel freely between other European countries any longer.

I have a friend in the UK and she said there is a petition with half a million signatures to have a new vote since the "leave" vote was less than 60% and the turnout was under 75%.

That doesn't sound 'fair'. The referendum received much attention prior (world wide attention even) and voters had time to make their decisions.

I really don't like it when a group doesn't get the outcome of a vote that they had hoped for, so want a 'do over'. Life just isn't like that.

And I can't imagine the horror of those open borders, people coming and going without monitoring. Seems it has caused plenty of strife for them.

The petition is the same kind we have here in the US- where we petition the government and if it gets enough signatures it's reviewed.  This petition is for parliament, who reviews these afterr 100,000 signatures. My friend said a lot of the leave sentiment was due to having to take direction from faceless, nameless bureaucrats in Brussels. She didn't mention open borders, but many of her FB friends were nervous that they would have to leave the country because they are from other European countries. Kind of sad that they're afraid.

You have sacrificed nothing and no one.
Respected Contributor

@Beth-QVC wrote:

@JaneMarple

I understand everyone's confusion regarding labeling the Brexit threads as "political" however, it has been pointed out that the content is indeed political (just not American political) and as such is against our standards. The Mods are just trying to be consistent which is what our posters are requesting...Beth QVC

Thank you for your explanation Beth.  We appreciate it and understand being between a rock and a hard place.  We see it here every day.

~The only difference between this place and the Titanic is that the Titanic had a band.~
Esteemed Contributor

@Beth-QVC

You don't know how much I appreciate your help in these discussions from early morning on.  Thank you.   Hopefully, we'll stay on point.

Keep Your Face To The Sunshine and You Will Not See The Shadow
Honored Contributor

@RoughDraft wrote:

Scotland has already mentioned seeking independence from GB and Ireland is seeking unification.  Europe's map is changing right before our eyes.

Perhaps there needs to be change. I am not stating that as a fact, but change is the only constant in life, and I'm sure some of the changes will be good, some won't, Just like the status quo would give us.

Honored Contributor

@HappyDaze wrote:

I was actually listening to this discussion about how the idea of the EU  is great but almost impossible to serve the needs and address all of the challenges of all the countries in it. So many of these countries have such opposing needs and ideaologies so how do you have a group that basically tries to balance it all? It seems idealistic rather than realistic.

Agreed.

I head it described today that the EU was kind of an attempt after two world wars, to prevent the countries of Europe from turning on one another as they had for centuries.

Did it maybe already do that to some extent, and has it maybe served it's purpose, and not needed or effective anymore?

Super Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

@ZoetheCat wrote:

@MyGirlsMom wrote:

Another area of concern is science and medicine.  The UK worked closely with other EU nations on scientific research and studies because of 'freedoms.'  Within the next two years, things will change and these same 'freedoms' won't be so easy.  Europe is on the cutting edge when it comes to Cancer research.

Again, I think it's a matter of "cutting off your nose to spite your face" as my mother always said.  There are so many repurcussions to this.  I understand the frustration.  But I think this vote is appealing to fear as opposed to "our better angels" to quote Abe Lincoln.

But let me offer up the 'fear factor' of the other side, that said basically we will have disaster if we leave.

I think in most cases, the fear card is played by both sides.

I see that there were just as many repercussions to leave the status quo, and it seems to me they people were looking to  get back their sovereignty. Not a bad thing in my opinion.

I truly do understand what you are saying and I do not want to get this thread poofed.  But the fact is, we (and Britain) live in a global economy.  No matter who you vote for, whether here, in Britain, or anywhere else, is going to change that.  The old jobs are not coming back.  No amount of "Brexit" is going to change that.  I think this is what I find so frustrating about the argument.  I feel like the people in power who favor this kind of "sovereignty" know that what they are proposing is not sustainable.  It's just politics to further their own very narrow agenda.

QVC Customer Care

Esteemed Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

@RoughDraft wrote:

Scotland has already mentioned seeking independence from GB and Ireland is seeking unification.  Europe's map is changing right before our eyes.

Perhaps there needs to be change. I am not stating that as a fact, but change is the only constant in life, and I'm sure some of the changes will be good, some won't, Just like the status quo would give us.

@Mominohio

Change is good as long as it doesn't harm people - 2,1 billion dollars lost globally isn't a good change.

Keep Your Face To The Sunshine and You Will Not See The Shadow
Honored Contributor

@ZoetheCat wrote:

@JavaQueen wrote:

It's frightening to me on so many levels. Ecobomic security is a big deal. It makes everything else possible. Once that no longer exists, then comes the chaos. I was displaced by one recession and would hate to see another. I wouldn't want anyone to go through what I have.

You have expressed this so succinctly in my opinion.  Obviously, the people of Britain have a right to vote any way they choose.  We, too, will have that choice in November.  But I think it is obvious that this vote is frightening, not just to us but, more importantly, to Great Britain.  This vote is against economic security, plain and simple.  I understand that there is frustration and people feel that they are not being heard.  But, seriously, does it not seem like they are making it a whole lot worse?  I just do not see how this is going to make the life of an average UK resident better.

I certainly won't pretent to be an expert in this issue, but I do have a firm belief that sometimes things can't be fixed, and need to be discarded. There will be pain. There will be a fall before the rise/growth can continue. Perhaps this is the beginning of that for Europe?