Honored Contributor

Re: There seems to be the inability to discern the difference between

Well, we can sit here and discuss nothing of real importance.  I guess that's what's expected.

Are you actually looking for guidelines?  It's like many other things ....subjective on who's reading the post.

It's easy to get a post deleted.  Some get a thrill out of doing it.  They just put in a few "words" and blip....gone......

Valued Contributor

@RoughDraft wrote:

@Maudelynn wrote:

@RoughDraft wrote:

@Maudelynn wrote:

Thanks for posting this.  ITA.  If North Korea was about to send a nuke, could we talk about that?

Errr, have you seen the news tonight?  

Serious?

Yep.

Yuck. Googled and all I can say is yuck.

You have sacrificed nothing and no one.
Super Contributor

@MyGirlsMom wrote:

Another area of concern is science and medicine.  The UK worked closely with other EU nations on scientific research and studies because of 'freedoms.'  Within the next two years, things will change and these same 'freedoms' won't be so easy.  Europe is on the cutting edge when it comes to Cancer research.

Again, I think it's a matter of "cutting off your nose to spite your face" as my mother always said.  There are so many repurcussions to this.  I understand the frustration.  But I think this vote is appealing to fear as opposed to "our better angels" to quote Abe Lincoln.

Trusted Contributor

I was enjoying reading the Brexit posts. Logged in to join in.

Now. . .it's gone. :-(

Respected Contributor

@itiswhatitis wrote:

@HappyDaze wrote:

I do not see how those threads are really political versus financial. We are discussing a major world event that will affect the US and us personally, possibly in a major financial way.  I would very much like to be able to chat with others about this and get their thoughts on it. The threads aren't even contentious!

Do you understand the impetus for what happened in the UK?  If you do, just think about it you'd see how easily it could turn ugly.

Of course we understand the impetus. We are not idiots. However, we were discussing the fiscal/finanacial/geographical ramifications of this move and I believe most of us are aware where we can't go with the subject.  So please allow us a dispassionate exchange of ideas without the lecture.

~The only difference between this place and the Titanic is that the Titanic had a band.~
Honored Contributor

@MyGirlsMom wrote:

Another area of concern is science and medicine.  The UK worked closely with other EU nations on scientific research and studies because of 'freedoms.'  Within the next two years, things will change and these same 'freedoms' won't be so easy.  Europe is on the cutting edge when it comes to Cancer research.

Yes there are so many far reaching areas that this Brexit will affect. So many do not realize how much our lives are intertwined with the UK and the EU.

Esteemed Contributor

2.1 TRILLION dollars lost globally today - The U.S. lost more than 800 BILLION of that figure.

Keep Your Face To The Sunshine and You Will Not See The Shadow
Respected Contributor

It's frightening to me on so many levels. Ecobomic security is a big deal. It makes everything else possible. Once that no longer exists, then comes the chaos. I was displaced by one recession and would hate to see another. I wouldn't want anyone to go through what I have.

Honored Contributor

@itiswhatitis wrote:

@HappyDaze wrote:

I do not see how those threads are really political versus financial. We are discussing a major world event that will affect the US and us personally, possibly in a major financial way.  I would very much like to be able to chat with others about this and get their thoughts on it. The threads aren't even contentious!

Do you understand the impetus for what happened in the UK?  If you do, just think about it you'd see how easily it could turn ugly.

I sure do but I have faith in these women to stay civil and stay on topic, which I feel you are really not being/doing.

Honored Contributor

@Maudelynn wrote:

From what I understand, citizens will not be able to travel freely between other European countries any longer.

I have a friend in the UK and she said there is a petition with half a million signatures to have a new vote since the "leave" vote was less than 60% and the turnout was under 75%.

That doesn't sound 'fair'. The referendum received much attention prior (world wide attention even) and voters had time to make their decisions.

I really don't like it when a group doesn't get the outcome of a vote that they had hoped for, so want a 'do over'. Life just isn't like that.

And I can't imagine the horror of those open borders, people coming and going without monitoring. Seems it has caused plenty of strife for them.