Honored Contributor

Re: There's a predator in my neighborhood...........................................................

@eddyandme wrote:

@Noel7

My Dad shot and killed a raccoon when I was little.  We were leaving for the day - work/school - and he was afraid it would hurt my dog, Lucky, a shepherd-collie.  So, although Dad would save injured animals who came our way, he had no choice but to kill the raccoon in order to protect Lucky.

He cut it open and hung it up in the cellar; then, a guy from work came over to take it.  It was sad, but necessary...

@eddyandme

We had a beautiful kitty come live in our backyard.  It became obvious she was able to catch a few birds.  I gave her fresh water and food, we couldn't catch her and she was very skinny.  Dang, immediately the raccoons showed up at night and took her food and water, we were afraid they would attack her.  I started feeding her during the day and taking up her dishes when she left the food scene. 

I really dislike raccoons, they are just mean, and they attack each other, too.  Bloody fights in people's back yards. 

Honored Contributor

Re: There's a predator in my neighborhood...........................................................

@SilleeMee wrote:

@Noel7,

There was a family of raccoons that held me hostage in my garage one time. They were enjoying my trash which I had put out early in the morning for pickup  and the raccoons would not let me go out of my garage because they owned my trash at that point and weren't gonna let anyone come in their way. Those guys were huge!

OMG, @SilleeMee  I'm glad they didn't go after you, they do that.  Yes, they also get into the garbage containers outside.  They seem to be getting bigger and bigger.

Honored Contributor

I don't see any hawks now that my neighbor with the chickens passed away.

The chickens and the rooster are gone and so are the hawks.

I do have owls.   I see them early in the morning, they are so beautiful.   I hear them at night.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I love owlsHeart @software. Did you know that owls have asymmetrical ears? They are not located in the same area on each side of their head. One is higher than the other. This gives them '3-D' hearing...locating prey up, down as well as left and right. Our ears can only detect side to side and it's difficult to tell how high up or how low the sound is coming from.

Esteemed Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

@Noel7,

There was a family of raccoons that held me hostage in my garage one time. They were enjoying my trash which I had put out early in the morning for pickup  and the raccoons would not let me go out of my garage because they owned my trash at that point and weren't gonna let anyone come in their way. Those guys were huge!

@SilleeMee

Have you tried spraying pneumonia onto your garbage bags?  Thinking, perhaps, they might keep the critters at bay.

Honored Contributor

@eddyandme wrote:

@SilleeMee wrote:

@Noel7,

@SilleeMee

Have you tried spraying pneumonia onto your garbage bags?  Thinking, perhaps, they might keep the critters at bay.

Thank goodness I'm not having any raccoon problems at this time. Thanks for your suggestion @eddyandmeWoman Happy

Esteemed Contributor

Pneumonia?

I don't think that one could spray anything with pneumonia, unless they contract it themselves.

But maybe try using ammonia might help! Woman LOL

Esteemed Contributor

We have several hawks by my house as well. Mourning doves are easy prey for them because they are slower to get going.

The other birds will hide until the coast is clear!

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

@eddyandme wrote:

@SilleeMee wrote:

@Noel7,

@SilleeMee

Thank goodness I'm not having any raccoon problems at this time. Thanks for your suggestion @eddyandmeWoman Happy

@SilleeMeeand @eddyandme

pneumonia?

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

LOL! But I knew what was meant. LOL!Smiley LOL

@Noel7 @Plaid Pants2