Honored Contributor

There's a predator in my neighborhood...............................................................

It's name is 

Ferruginous Hawk.

91233383.a8jDm728.FEHAgg.jpg

For the last week it has been terrorizing all the little animals in my cul de sac...squirrels, birds and swooping down at the neighboir's small dogs.  It has already killed two of the squirrels that were nesting in my spruce tree. Yesterday I witnessed the hawk attacking and killing a mourning dove. Feathers were flyingSmiley Surprised, branches on the tree were swaying somethin' fierce and then I saw the dove fall to the ground deadSmiley Sad. I could hear birds close by screeching with fear. I have never seen anything like this before. How scary for the other animals. They seem to be in hiding because I haven't seen them around.

Trusted Contributor

Re: There's a predator in my neighborhood...........................................................

@SilleeMee ~ We have one of those around here, too.  I know they have to eat too but could they please take their appetites elsewhere?  I hate to see what you saw. 

Honored Contributor

Re: There's a predator in my neighborhood...........................................................

There's still bloody feathers in my front yard...and squirrel fur. I have to go out there and clean it up soon. It's just awful.

Honored Contributor

Beautiful pic!  They are so beautiful and I love all animals, but I also love to watch, feed, and photograph the little bitty birdies so I have to run them off.  I have shot a few pics of the ones we get here (red-tail hawks).  They don't have red tails, but that's what their name is.  Not sure how that works.

But the interesting thing is that the dog knows that I love the little birdies and he helps me to keep them safe.  Somehow or other he knows that the hawks are not compatible with having the little bitty birdies and if he sees one he will try to run them off.

Honored Contributor

Is there someone you can called to move him to another area? My DH suggested the wildlife department or animal control. You don't want it to get  your furry friends.🐕🐈🐩🕊

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

In the summer, the hawks swoop down on a field near our home and carry live mice through the air in their talons.  'Survival of the fittest' I guess.

Honored Contributor

Maybe the hawk is trained and an official could call it down for food and see that it's taken care of.  Maybe it could be taken to a wooded area that's more plentiful with food that isn't a small dog or kitten, or adopted by one of those people trained with hawks.

Respected Contributor

We hear of these things happening. It is awful to see it happening. My son lives next to a bird sanctuariey and he has whitenessd it happening. SilleeMee I hope you got all your work done without much pain. I do think of you often because I know you are alone. You are one strong lady. 

Honored Contributor

@OKPrincess wrote:

Is there someone you can called to move him to another area? My DH suggested the wildlife department or animal control. You don't want it to get  your furry friends.🐕🐈🐩🕊

I don't think the hawk will bother my Golden, but I am keeping an eye on her when she goes outside. I saw the hawk this morning perched on a tree in my neighbor's yard. I got a closer look at it with my binoculars and I could tell it was on the prowl by they way it was looking around...like for a small animal snack.Woman Surprised It has hungry eyes...I could see them with my binoculars!

Trusted Contributor

@SilleeMee: We get what we assume is a couple because one is smaller than the other. After the first one leaves the other shows up. And there is also one that resembles a falcon but doesn't come as often. But same behavior.

They fly in and hunker down in the bird bath which is under the shade of our olive tree. Especially in the summer they can sit in that water for 2-3 hours without leaving. Then when we watch them bathe in the water we know they're getting ready to take off. Sure enough they fly to the iron fence around the pool to dry off for a while before taking off.

The birds around here are smart enough to go silent and still until the hawk leaves. Except for one afternoon a sparrow flew over to the dog's bowl to drink water...about 7' from where the hawk was sitting. The hawk just watched him and was not interested in chasing him. The sparrow finally drank enough and flew away unharmed as the hawk continued sitting.

These hawks seem to not use our yard as their restaurant. I've been surprised at that and am very grateful.