Honored Contributor

Re: There's a predator in my neighborhood...........................................................

@SilleeMee       It's hard to believe no one could help out or could care less.   I would think they could net the bird and take him to some remote area.   So the darn hawk continues his killing spree.  Terrible and frightening for the kids in the area.

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

Re: There's a predator in my neighborhood...........................................................

I know about nature's food chain but I don't want to see it happen. When I hear an animal crying out while a hawk carries it off I just can't put it out of my mind for awhile. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Katcat1 wrote:

@SilleeMee       It's hard to believe no one could help out or could care less.   I would think they could net the bird and take him to some remote area.   So the darn hawk continues his killing spree.  Terrible and frightening for the kids in the area.

Kids need to learn how nature works. They'll be better for it when they do.

Esteemed Contributor

@Katcat1 wrote:

They believe in leaving nature alone, and letting nature do what nature will do.

Honored Contributor

I would call a local Audubon Society and they might be able to give some tips on protecting pets and small birds from hawks or a way to discourage them from coming into your neighborhood....

Here are some tips from our wildlife rescue regarding protecting small birds from hawks.........

I feed birds in my back yard, but now there is a hawk hunting them! How do I deal with this/get rid of the hawk?

In natural settings, some hawks like Cooper’s Hawks and Sharp-shinned Hawksprey on smaller birds.  While it’s unfortunate that the birds visiting your feeder now have to keep an eye out for a hungry hawk, there are things you can do to give the little birds some help while still being able to enjoy your bird of prey visitor.

Photo: HG Miller, Creative Commons

The best thing you can do is to introduce safe shelter into your yard. Dense shrubs make an excellent escape for songbirds trying to hide from hawks and other predators. If you have downed tree limbs, creating a brush piles can offer shelter, as can an old Christmas tree during the winter.

You may also notice that the hawks are scaring some of the smaller birds from your feeders into your windows. If this is the case, try either moving your feeders to within 3 feet of your windows or more than 30 feet away to reduce the risk of window collisions.

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”