Honored Contributor

Re: There’s a fire burning underneath the rubble

@lovesrecess wrote:
Today they report the fire is still burning, or at least smoldering. Have they determined the cause of the fire? If it was natural gas, there would have been an explosion by now. A report said if they put too much water on it, it will increase the weight of the concrete too much, causing the already crumbled debris to fall further. There is nothing about this tragedy that seems to have a simple answer.

@lovesrecess @The local news a couple of hours ago reported that searchers still can't identify the source or sources of the fire. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@lovesrecess wrote:
Wow that’s not at all what they reported yesterday; they said they had evacuated everyone from the other side of the building. Am amazed anyone would want to stay and an engineer said they could not guarantee that part of the building was safe. I think they should move everyone out.

@lovesrecess @The other side of the building has been evacuated. There is a second condo that is not beside the one that collapsed. It is a twin to the collapsed building. Yesterday one report said it was evacuated but tonight the news said it has not been evacuated but that authorities are going to arrange for any residents that want to leave it will have a place to stay. The building next door has been evacuated. I'm not sure if both buildings on either side of the collapsed building have been evacuated because the news reports have conflicted each other on this. 

Esteemed Contributor

This is so sad and heartbreaking. I think you are looking at recovery not rescue. I can't imagine that anyone is still alive. Very informative articles posted on this topic.