Respected Contributor

Re: There’s a fire burning underneath the rubble

@PickyPicky3 wrote:

On the late news they reported that the Miami Metro Police are maintaining the site as a homicide scene. Did I hear that right? What does that actually mean in this situation except control of who goes in and out. 

It could mean they want evidence to stay in place as well. Naming it a homicide scene probably gives clear direction for procedures that are to be followed.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@PickyPicky3 wrote:

On the late news they reported that the Miami Metro Police are maintaining the site as a homicide scene. Did I hear that right? What does that actually mean in this situation except control of who goes in and out. 

@PickyPicky3 @This is because they pulled three bodies from the rubble and their deaths have to be investigated. Metro Dade Police and the Dade Medical Examiner, Dr. Emma Lew,  have set up a tent. @On It 

Esteemed Contributor

What an unbelievable tragedy. No words, only prayers for the families and their loved ones.   @Mindy D  Thank you for your insight.

Respected Contributor

What's frightening is if we don't know what caused this, how can we be sure other buildings are not at risk? The only theory I've heard is the condo was built on reclaimed wetlands and has been sinking.

@Mindy D Have residents of nearby buildings been evacuated?

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@PickyPicky3 wrote:

What's frightening is if we don't know what caused this, how can we be sure other buildings are not at risk? The only theory I've heard is the condo was built on reclaimed wetlands and has been sinking.

@Mindy D Have residents of nearby buildings been evacuated?

@PickyPicky3 @Yes, the rest of the condo, condos next door and the second building, a sister building to the one that collapsed, have been evacuated.

The Red Cross has helped all those evacuating and a staging area, (reunification center), was set up for the families as they were placed. They have provided supplies and support and are providing evacuated residents with a safe place to stay. They are also providing  disaster mental health and spiritual health volunteers. There's free counseling provided by area mental health experts too. I'm not sure if these professionals are the same pros the Red Cross is using or if there are two separate teams of mental health experts involved. Too many donations of goods came in for the families so Surfside officials have asked that no more donations of items be made but they will have a way to donate funds if needed. The Red Cross is also not accepting donations financial donations or anything else for this event. This area is used to handling this type of issue, so agencies really know how to get things done. Hotels are also being used for refuge. Miami Dade Fire Rescue is handling the reunification of relatives and they have set up phone hotline and a web contact site for this. They also set up a site where residents of the building can register themselves online so they can be kept track of and notified of anything. Local businesses and persons have provided meals, water, places to stay and every imaginable help for team members working in the area.

Added Later: Temple Emanuel was accepting phone chargers and drinks for the people they were helping. 

Trusted Contributor

Southwest Florida firefighters, Task Force 6, went to Surfside today to help the search and rescue efforts.  They said they anticipate working 12 hour days for at least a week.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@River Song wrote:

Southwest Florida firefighters, Task Force 6, went to Surfside today to help the search and rescue efforts.  They said they anticipate working 12 hour days for at least a week.

@River Song @There are fire fighters coming in from other places too. Exhausting, dangerous work. 

Honored Contributor

Harding Avenue, the main drag in Surfside, will probably be closed soon and they have already closed off a section of the beach in order to bring in large heavy equipment. 

They are still working tonight. Still the same numbers. 159 people are still unaccounted for. There's still four known deaths. Three pulled from the rubble and one person died in the hospital. I'm not seeing any storms on my radar image over the site right now. 

I don't know how many are still hospitalized because they are spread out between at least three hospitals and I haven't heard any updates about them. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

There is a book called "In Their Name" by Clive Irving about the Oklahoma City bombing that describes what a scene like this is really like in detail.  

It breaks my heart to see such familiar pictures and stories.  I can't watch it. 

Honored Contributor

@PickyPicky3 wrote:

@PickyPicky3  A homicide tent has been set up so that the homicide unit personnel can assist in indentifying the bodies being recovered.

There is nothing to indicate that this is a homicide; just that the homicide unit is assisting with identification.

I imagine all personnel in search and rescue units are stretched to the limit.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh