Honored Contributor

There’s a fire burning underneath the rubble

There’s a fire burning underneath the rubble that the fire crew has not been able to extinguish. The air is thick with smoke. 

The department worked all day below the building and on top of the rubble. The top of the rubble crews would line up with red buckets and about 20 guys or gals picking through small areas of the rubble to check it before they could allow an earth mover to come in and lift away the debris from each spot they worked. 

Families are giving samples of DNA and other important health information in the event that this information might be needed to identify victims. 

Respected Contributor

Re: There’s a fire burning underneath the rubble

This is just beyond awful! There are no words!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Oh what a horrible situation for the victims, their families, and first responders.  I had no idea there was a fire burning.........😭😭😭😭😭😭

Praying for all involved.  I cannot imagine what they are going through and feeling while waiting and trying to rescue.........

“I heard the sound I had to follow”
In Your Wildest Dreams by Justin Hayward
Esteemed Contributor

I heard an interview on CNN with a family member.  He was in tears and seemed to accept the reality that his loved one(s) was gone.  Its impossible to believe anybody survives at this point.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

The only chance of anyone surviving is if there is an air pocket where they are. Chances are slim but we must keep praying for a miracle. I just can’t imagine the agony so many friends and family members are coping with right now.

Honored Contributor

The Surfside Community Center was a place that held fond memories for me because I would go swimming there sometimes when I was a little girl. Now it's the staging center for the families. 
The whole town was where I spent a lot of my time because my grandparents had a restaurant there and some other businesses and they lived right near there in Bay Harbor. It's sad to see a place I associate with joy now turned to sorrow.

Respected Contributor

159 people missing, so very very sad. The rescuers are working through the night to try and find survivors and those who lost their lives. I pray for the families, there is still hope that some will be saved.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@lovesrecess wrote:

The only chance of anyone surviving is if there is an air pocket where they are. Chances are slim but we must keep praying for a miracle. I just can’t imagine the agony so many friends and family members are coping with right now.

@lovesrecess @Officials keep emphasizing that it is still search and rescue. They have been on the piles with dogs. They did pull a teenage boy out alive and they pulled out his mother who was deceased. There's a video of the boy's rescue on YouTube. Local NBC channel 6 reports that rescue crews hear tapping from below but no yelling. I heard this yesterday and this morning. 

Respected Contributor

On the late news they reported that the Miami Metro Police are maintaining the site as a homicide scene. Did I hear that right? What does that actually mean in this situation except control of who goes in and out. 

Honored Contributor

Each rescue crew is accompanied by a doctor, usually a trauma surgeon, so they can give transfusions and amputations. The crews use these sonar guns and cameras to see underneath the debris, primarily twisted metal and chunks of concrete, and then they pass the overturned debris in the bucket brigade I described in my other post. They delayer the pile one layer at a time. The search and rescue team has been to disasters all over the world. They can work at night because they have intense lighting available.